Two birds in the oven!

Started by jet, May 31, 2007, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jet

I rubbed up two roasting chickens last night, using the S&S "Chicken on a Throne" recipe.  I ran home at lunch, fired up the BS, placed each bird on a beer can stand, and put them in the BS.  I set it up for 3 hours of apple smoke.  My wife is monitoring the temps on the Maverick for me. 

A question I have is, where do you put the meat probe?  Do you stick it in the thigh, in the breast, or somewhere else?  I stuck it in the thigh, but it's not very thick there.

I can't wait for dinner tonight!

boxertrio

if i put the thermo in the thigh, I cook to 165, if in the breast go to 170 or better....usually don't use one, just roast till you can twist the leg easily...never failed.
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Consiglieri

I usually take the IT up to 180 when doing chicken.

Using the maverick probe with chickens or ribs, though, I've had better readings when I "spot check," rather than leaving the probe inserted.  Best reason I can offer for my anomoly is that the "needle" end of the probe is long and only a small portion is inserted in the flesh.  As such, the remaining part of the probe is exposed to higher heat which heats up the measuring tip too.  don't have this problem with larger cuts, where most of the probe is in the meat.  Maybe this is just a "user error" on my part.

Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Jet;
Welcome to the forum.

When I do whole poultry, I place the probe in the thickness part of the thigh, and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. That insures the thigh meat is done, but the breast will be over cooked.

I generally smoke/cook chicken parts, and place the white and dark meats in separate racks. I take the white meat out at 150°F-155°; and the dark meat out at 162°F-165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jet

I took the birds out after 5 hours of total cook time (3 hours smoke + 2 additional hours).  We ate one and gave one to the neighbors.  This was probably the most moist chicken I've ever had.  It was very tasty.  I do have to say that there wasn't as much smoke flavor as I had hoped for.  I think next time I would either smoke longer or use a wood other than apple.  I did take the skin off after cooking.  Should I expect the smoky flavor without the skin?

Habanero Smoker: Do you buy parts or buy whole birds and cut them up yourself?

coyote

Welcome Jet , Looks like your efforts paid off well! :) Thanks for posting and for the pics.

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

Jet;

When I buy chicken, it depends on the price and my mood. Usually I will buy chicken already cut up, because it is easier for me, and I usually prefer dark meat over white. So if it is already cut up, I have a choice of the ratio of dark to white meat I want to smoke. Whole chickens are cheaper and very easy to cut up; but if you are not going to make stock you have a lot of waste to discard.

The birds look good; I'm surprised they did not have a good smoke flavor. How long after smoking/cooking did you eat them? The reason I ask it that there is the factor of "flavor fatigue" or "sensory fatigue". This is a phenomenon that occurs when you are exposed to a smell or taste over a period of time. Sometimes the exposure period can be extremely short, and can occur during the eating of a meal. You temporary become desensitized to that taste and/or smell. In your case, if you are near the smoker checking on the birds, opening the smoker, and taking the birds out, all could contribute to this desensitization before the meal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Have not done a whole chicken, but part of the loss of smoke flavor may have left with the skin.  Habs is right on about flavor fatigue.  I experience that with steaks.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

jet

You may be right about the desensitization.  I was in a rush and had to eat very quickly after getting the birds out of the oven.  I was still smelling smoke while driving in the car an hour after eating!  I'll be finishing up the leftovers tonight and will be able to see if the smoke flavor comes through more.

Habanero Smoker

That's the reason I wear a gas mask when I smoke. "The Flavor Protector". ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MWS

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 01, 2007, 01:45:46 PM
That's the reason I wear a gas mask when I smoke. "The Flavor Protector". ;D

Now I get it.... ;D ;)
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Kummok

In case of flavour (proper QE spelling for  ManX, Spook, etc.... ;) ) fatigue, rinse out mouth vigorously with a good stout or single malt and swallow....you might not get the smoky taste back but you won't care that much and you can at least blame the vanishing on SOMETHING!

West Coast Kansan

Will cook till breats are close to 160 this brings the thighs to close to 170. I do the same thing on turkey. + plus totally clear liquid of which there is a lot.

For more smoke you might try a crown and not use a can.  The can plugs the hole for the smoke that wishes it could get to the center.

2 hours of smoke is a lot for me...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Carter

If you want smokey flavour on chicken, do 4 hours of hickory.

It was the first thing I did in my BS.  I would cut it to 3 hours next time and potentially use a milder wood.

Carter