My PID

Started by Tiny Tim, June 01, 2007, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Thanks Tom.  Unit came with instructions, but they look like they're made for an engineer to read and I don't have that kind of degree. :P :P  I'll surf around and see what I can find.

Thanks NePa for the kind words. :D

Tiny Tim

Just thought I'd let ya'll know, I got it figured out.  Don't need to press lower left button, just use up and down arrows to set desired temps, the LL button gets me through the rest of the settings, and I'll be running autotune when I have my brisket in there tomorrwo night.  Have the preliminary numbers recorded right now.

A big thank you to everybody that had input in my building this unit, and those of you that gave me encouragement too.

Cajun

TT your PID looks just like mine, and I love it, you will ask yourself how in the world did I ever get by without one   Cajun ;) ;D ??? :P
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy

Tiny Tim

Yep, that's about right, Cajun.  BTW, where the heck have you been?  Chat nights have been quiet without you there.  Good to see ya though.

sherlock

In stead of "Sherlock" I guess my name should be "Simple Simon".

The PID seems to be a complicated apparatus which simply controls the temperature. My feeble brain is saying that my DBS already does this. I must be missing something. Please explain this to me in simple laymans terminology.

DUH

???

Mr Walleye

Sherlock

Your more or less right. The DBS does control the temps however it does have a temp swing of around 20 degrees. Most of the time that's not an issue but for some, like me, want tighter control on the temps. The PID, properly tuned will give you a + or - 1 degree. Not really that important when doing a butt or ribs. How ever on other things like jerky & sausage it can be more important. At least that's the way I seam to see it anyway.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock

Thanks Mike.

How is it able to maintain such a temperature range?

nathan

Mr Walleye

Here is a definition that Arcs posted a while back....

"PID stands for Proportional, Integral, Derivative. It is a type of control scheme that does a bunch of math based upon the difference between what the temperature is, and where it should be. PID control schemes reach the setpoint fastest, with the least overshoot, and least error.

Having said all that, other control schemes work quite well. Your house thermostat is an on/off control that is very accurate (it helps that, to change the house temperature, it takes some time; there is a lot of thermal inertia)."

Needless to say... The inner workings of the PID is "over my head" but I do have one and it works good.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock