Hello & a question

Started by Payson, June 25, 2007, 08:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payson

I'm the proud new owner of an Original Bradley. Can't wait to break it in! It's an upgrade for me from an electric Brinkman (which is a fine smoker in its own right). Anyway, I'm curious regarding the use of aluminum baking pans. I notice that the owners manual cautions strongly against the use of foil. I'd love to be able to place an aluminum pan on a rack below whatever I'm smoking though. It would aid cleanup tremendously! I'd much rather dispose of an aluminum pan (or clean it) than have to clean the heat diffuser or whatever the "V" shaped insert is called along with the water pan and the tray below the water pan. Would this be problematic? I understand that I don't want to obstruct air-flow but I otherwise see no problem with it???
Thanks for any help!

Tiny Tim

It won't really hurt anything, but the v-pan and water bowl clean up very nice with a minor soak in hot soapy water and a trip through the dishwasher.  Can only be made easier by using "Pam for Grilling" on those items before smoking.

My smoker doesn't have near as many miles on it as some guys on this board, but the bowl is only heat discolored and the v-pan looks almost new...and I haven't yet used the "Pam for Grilling".

There's been talk on here about using those pans for a replacement for the water bowl for more volume for spent pucks and other goo, but that too is optional.

manxman

Hi Payson and welcome to the forum.  :)

One of the big issues with using aluminium foil is the risk of channeling hot fat onto the heater element, there have been at least 2 fires referred to here on the forum and I seem to remember that certainly one and perhaps both related to the use of foil.... Chez Bubba is the person to chip in here as I think it was him who posted originally on this subject.

There have been quite a few discussions about covering the v tray in foil and indeed I have done this although I have taken care not to block the slits and hole in the bottom and made corresponding holes in the foil to cater for this

The drip tray channels the majority of the fat away from the heater element and into the water bowl where it is collected out of harms way, anything that interferes with this could potentially cause a problem so any modifications would a) invalidate warranty. b) be at that persons own risk.

It obviously also reduced the room available to smoke things and could obstruct smoke flow.

Hope this helps.  :)
Manxman

3rensho

I find that just chucking the grates, v-pan and water bowl in the dishwasher is all that is required.  Have never considered using foil or an aluminum pan on a grate below the meat but, as Manxman points out, do so with some care.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Payson

Thanks for all of the replies! I guess I'll avoid the aluminum pan. I hadn't really thought about the grease channeling problems. That'd be just my luck... void the warranty and burn it up on the first smoke! Speaking of which, any super quick (2 hours or maybe 3) non-fish recipes to share? I'd love to use it tonight but I won't be able to get started until about 5:30. Eating at 8:30 or 9 wouldn't be a problem.