Your new source for Bubba Pucks

Started by Chez Bubba, June 05, 2007, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFT

NICE.. Being a CNC machinist myself Those look like  a lot of programming went into those.  Turning center??
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Quarlow

BigjohnT did a nice job on them for sure!
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

BigJohnT

Quote from: RFT on January 29, 2011, 02:46:07 PM
NICE.. Being a CNC machinist myself Those look like  a lot of programming went into those.  Turning center??

LOL, I did them on my old BP Series 1 with and Anilam 1000M 3 axis controller. And yes it was an exercise for me to learn OneCNC cam  software and make something cool.

What kind of machines do you run?

John

OU812

Quote from: BigJohnT on February 02, 2011, 03:57:19 PM

LOL, I did them on my old BP Series 1 with and Anilam 1000M 3 axis controller. And yes it was an exercise for me to learn OneCNC cam  software and make something cool.

John

Now THAT just made my head hert.  ;D

freakaccident

Auber makes them too.  Not sure if it was mentioned and I don't want to read 7 pages to see.   ;D

I'm not sure if they are as good as the solid ones but they seem to work well for me.  The website says that they hide the smoke marks better which I disagree with.  The one closest to the burner changes color drastically after one use.  I just swapped them out until all three were the same color.   ;D

Here is the link.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=111

TedEbear

Or just find some scrap pipe and make your own for free.  Get some 2-inch diameter thick wall pipe, cut some 1/2-inch wide slices off it, bevel the edges so they slide easier and there ya go. 

Puck savers do not have to be solid all the way through in order to work.  My homemade ones work just fine.   I guess they're not as pretty as some of the commercial ones available but no one sees them except me and the price certainly was right.  ;)

freakaccident

Quote from: TedEbear on June 25, 2011, 09:21:11 PM
Or just find some scrap pipe and make your own for free.  Get some 2-inch diameter thick wall pipe, cut some 1/2-inch wide slices off it, bevel the edges so they slide easier and there ya go. 

Puck savers do not have to be solid all the way through in order to work.  My homemade ones work just fine.   I guess they're not as pretty as some of the commercial ones available but no one sees them except me and the price certainly was right.  ;)

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON'T USE GALVANIZED PIPE FOR THIS!!  Poison!

muebe

Quote from: freakaccident on June 25, 2011, 09:39:09 PM

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON'T USE GALVANIZED PIPE FOR THIS!!  Poison!

Ditto! Use black pipe. It is cheaper and will not release toxic particles when heated...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TedEbear

Actually, I used copper pipe.  I know it would normally cost more than some alternative materials but they were tossing it out at work and it was free.  Copper must be OK to heat since they make tea kettles out of it.

muebe

Quote from: TedEbear on June 26, 2011, 07:49:11 AM
Actually, I used copper pipe.  I know it would normally cost more than some alternative materials but they were tossing it out at work and it was free.  Copper must be OK to heat since they make tea kettles out of it.

Copper is fine. The problem with galvanized and aluminized pipe is the particles that can be released while heating them.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

coolsmoker

That's what I did, but every time my stack got down to the last wood Bradley bisquette, it wouldn't feed out properly onto the burn plate all the way.  It would only feed half-way onto the heat plate, and then stop.  I kept being left with a half-burned (wasted) bisquette and a mess on the drive guide to clean/scrape up after each smoke.    I found it easier to just order a set of proper pucks off Ebay.   That was the cheapest source for them I could find.  I've never had a problem since. 

RFT

Quote from: BigJohnT on February 02, 2011, 03:57:19 PM

John

Sorry took s long to reply.    I  run Okuma Captain lathes.  Pretty sweet machines. programmable C axis. ONly thing I wish it had was an Y axis.  I used to run Tornos  Bechler Screw machines, each tool had and adjustable X,Y,Z. 
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

viper125

Just wondering what three are worth used. Can't hurt them much these are good. But I now have 6.

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Chez

I did a search for the spacer pucks and this was the most interesting thread but its from 2012... I went to amazon and there are many different types of spacer pucks, is there a difference between them? Are any better than the others
Walk Softly and Carry a Bent Stick

Habanero Smoker

I have both the solid aluminum disk, and the rings. I prefer the rings over the solid disk. To me they just seem easier to handle, and much lighter. Though I don't believe the heavier disk type placed any additional wear and tear on my generator. When I purchased the rings I just chose the least expensive set.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)