Brisket Flat

Started by David6340, September 14, 2004, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

I smoked a 6lb brisket flat over the weekend. Rubbed with worcestershire and Texas BBQ rub #2. Smoked for a total of 9 hours at 225-250 until the brisket hit an internal temp of 185f. At the 6 hour mark, I applied a sauce mixture from the Texas BBQ website.http://www.texasbbqrub.com/private/recipe/recipe.html You can use your own. I then wrapped in foil and put back on the bradley for an additional 3 hours or until 185F. I removed the foil pack from the Bradley and wrapped in a cloth. Set in cooler for about an hour. Came out moist, tender and flavorful.[:)]

I Love The Smell Of BBQ In The Morning!

BigSmoker

David,
I do love some smoked brisket.[:p]  I have found with the Bradley smoker that I don't need to wrap the brisket in foil during the cooking/smoking period nor have I found it necessary to use a mop sauce either.  The Bradley holds in plenty of moisture IMO.  When I first started using mine I would close the top damper all the way to try and hold in all the smoke.  What happend was moisture began running out the bottom of the door.  I do like to wrap in foil and a couple of towels and let rest in a cooler or cold stove for an hour or two before slicing.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Have seen and done the foil wrap, but only after the cooking in the smoker was completed.   Wrapped in foil after cooking, wrapped in towel, and into the cooler.  Was the purpose of the foil while still cooking to trap moisture and steam meat in the sauce?  Just curious.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

David6340

Taken from the link I provided:

<b>This is the mainstay for most BBQ's down here in Texas. I was told one time by a couple of Kansas City BBQ Judges </b><b>that my brisket would rank among the top 3 briskets they had ever tasted or judged.</b>
<b>OK now for the SECRET that will make your brisket as tender as any meat you have ever eaten.</b> <b>[<font color="black">About 2/3 of the way through the cooking of the brisket you are going to wrap the brisket in aluminum foil. Double wrap in foil</font id="black"></b><b>Take about 1 - 1 ½ cups of the bbq you made earlier and pour over the brisket (you should still be fat side down). Now wrap it in the first piece of foil, then wrap another piece around that. Place it back on the pit, fat side down again. Finish cooking. </b>

Based on the results that I got, I can't argue with him.

Dave

I Love The Smell Of BBQ In The Morning!

nsxbill

Can't argue with success.  I will try it next time.  Think I will just leave the foil on when I wrap in towel...a little less to clean up later[:D]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.