Hoping to solve the great brisket debate...

Started by Smokin Joe, September 23, 2004, 06:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Well I am going to give it a try anyway...

Just placed the order for 75# of beef brisket to smoke for a few friends on the 1st...

I am planning to divide it up and try smoking it using every method I can think of...mustard with rub, rub only, foil wrapped, not wrapped, foil and dry towel, foil and wet towel, saran wrap, saran wrap and foil and towel, and saran wrap and towel...

Any I have missed?

I will take a concensus from my guests to see which is truly the way to go!!

Thank God I can write this off!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

MallardWacker

My first thoughts were "Holy-Shamolee, oh my wonderful mama.  <b>75lbs</b>  Good Gracious and I hope this isn't your first brisket"    

I started writing a bunch of STUFF but then I looked who wrote this.  I'm sure you got this under control.

I'm sure I will have other comments/questions about this undertaking.  I got one thing to say:

<font color="red">"Good Luck and I hope you have a wife that REALLY loves you"</font id="red">

I'm sure Kirk will chime in.  This is somewhat comparable to his "Indy Big Butt Bash"

Please keep us informed and by the way how much did you get all that brisket for??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I am sure it will all be great...some just better than others.  So when does the beer truck arrive for that much brisket?  I think I would try various rubs and marinade, but be consistent about the saran/foil and towel.  I am doing 2 4 lbs briskets this weekend.

Just on the way out the door to pick up an industrial size mustard at Costco.

I am using this mustard sauce today, and have listed some different rubs for expirementation that I have picked up along the way.  This is not a dipping sauce.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sam's Special Mustard Sauce

Makes about 5 cups
1 can Beer -- flat (12 oz)
4 cups prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/2  cup dark brown sugar -- packed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper -- black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl.  Use a wire whisk to blend all the ingredients.

Store the mustard in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.  It will keep for several months.

Prepare Briskets, ribs, pork, or chicken, then paint with the mustard sauce and season it with your rub.  Barbecue as your normally would, using the indirect method.  Remember this is not a dipping sauce, but a cooking sauce.

You can replace the beer with lemon juice use some booze for the beer, or use Dijon mustard for the American mustard.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BBQ Dry Rub - Overton Anderson's

1 tablespoon chile -- ground -- New Mexico
2 teaspoons paprika -- Hungarian
1 teaspoon cumin -- powder
1 teaspoon coriander -- ground
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard -- dry
1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- fresh ground
1/2 teaspoon thyme -- leaves -- dried
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon allspice – ground

Mix all ingredients. Rub on meat and refrigerate the night before smoking.
Comment: Consider halving the chile for a milder rub.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Brisket Rub #14

1-1/4  cups paprika
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1-1/2  teaspoons dry mustard
1-1/2  teaspoons black pepper
1-1/2  teaspoons dried thyme
1-1/2  teaspoons curry powder
1-1/2  teaspoons cayenne

Mix together, rub on brisket, leave in refrigerator overnight, make sure trim side is up, keep temperature between 180 - 220F until done.

Recipe said to baste with beer sauce every hour (12 oz beer or cheap wine, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 onion, 2 cloves garlic and 1 tbsp. Worcestershire).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Jack's Rub

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs onion powder
2 Tbs dry mustard
2 Tbs rosemary
2 Tbs oregano
1 Tbs sage
1-1/4  Tsp cayenne pepper

This rub is not hot, just a little tingle. So if you like it hot increase the cayenne.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Add adult beverages to chef for all recipes while cooking.  Funny hat and apron optional.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />I'm sure Kirk will chime in.  This is somewhat comparable to his "Indy Big Butt Bash"
mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Actually, they were quite small, but the presentation was fine![;)] Didn't actually taste any product but they got a 10 for plating![:D]

I'm just as curious as the rest of you as to Joe's outcome. As I said in the pork thread, I've never done that kind of test before, but am willing to try. Joe just made my life a whole lot easier.[8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Actually, they were quite small, but the presentation was fine![;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:D][:D][:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

n/a

I rub my brisket my yellow mustard then hit it with rub let it sit for an hour or overnight if I plan it right.
I never wrap it, I would mop if it starts to dry.

I just a dumb California boy, so I am way to lazy to wrap.

The BS have never given me a bad brisket.

Smokin Joe

Everything got postponed 1 week, so will be doing it this weekend.  I pick up the meat today, so will update with our results ASAP!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner

Smokin Joe

Well, the meats been smoking and slowly cooking since 9 last night...figure I have about another 6 hours until it is done!

God the smell is killing me!!!  I may have to take a chefs sample before I offer it to my guests...

I will let everyone know what the decision is on my next update...

And the winner is???

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner

nsxbill

I bet it smells good!  That's a passle of brisket.  

I love the days following brisket preparation.  I dig out the electric slicer, and essentially shave the brisket super thin, and store in plastic bags.  I throw a handful in a glass pie pan, cover with bbq sauce, and into the MW for about 3 minutes.  While that is warming, I halve a soft sour dough roll and toast in my pizza oven.  Usually about 3 minutes on the toasting.  Nothing on the bread but that good thinly sliced meat and the warmed BBQ sauce.  Add beer-what a lunch!  The smell and the taste of yet another Bradley success, I just love my Bradley Smoker!  

A taste that makes you say, "Damn!"

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />A taste that makes you say, "Damn!"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or BAMMMM!!![:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?