PLEASE don't do this!!!

Started by iceman, May 01, 2007, 03:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

That stinks...would certainly ruin your day...and your food  :P

-Brian

pensrock

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If your top damper is closed too far you can burn up your smoke generator? Now why would anyone design something that would make this possible? There should be a stop on the damper so it would be impossible to close it too far. By the way how far closed is too far? I have always kept mine wide open. In what stituation would someone need to close the damper even halfway?

Thanks for the heads up Iceman!
Greg

Habanero Smoker

In most situations you would only want your damper about 1/4 open. As a general rule you will open it only as far as to prevent the smoke and moisture from backing out of the generator. For poultry with skin, you would need to open it much wider to allow the excessive moisture to escape. Also, generally the damper is also helpful in controlling the heat, the smaller opening will help with higher heat temperatures, more open will help keep the cabinet temperature down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Thanks for explaining the dampers setting Hab. I'm looking forward to trying your Canadian bacon this weekend. I only used a pork tenderloin instead of a whole loin because I never made this before. I'll most likely be doing a whole loin before Xmas if it comes out as good as everyone has stated.

Habanero Smoker

I've never cured a tenderloin, but since they are smaller in diameter, you may want to adjust your curing times. If you cure too long, the worse will be that it is too salty, so you may have to soak a little longer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Pensrock,
I did a 5 pound pork loin and it is every bit as good as everyone states.  I cured mine for 3 days in the frig and then rinsed off the cure and allowed it to air dry uncovered for another day in the frig in order to allow the pelicile to form on the meat.  It really helps the smoke adhere to the loin.  There is only one danger.  If you feed your family and friends any of it, they are going to want more and more so be prepared!

Happy Smokin'
KyNola

pensrock

Habs and KyNola,
   Thanks for the tips. I just finished rinsing them off and they are now soaking, I will remove in about an hour and dry with paper towels then put into fridge till Sat. morning. I'm already drooling just thinking about it. I know now I should have done a whole loin instead of the tenderloin. I do not think I'll share any till I get around to doing the loin. Like you said once everyone gets a taste they will want more and I won't have any till then.
PensRock