Cold smoking shed?

Started by Welsh Wizard, June 10, 2007, 01:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Welsh Wizard

Hi  Nepas and thanks for the post

What you have there is exactly what I want here, it looks the dogs dangly bits. Fancy coming over for dinner and bringing your saw?

excuse my total ignorance but there seems to be quite a gap around the door is that sealed from the inside or is enough smoke generated that it dosent matter. Thanks WW

NePaSmoKer

Hey gang

Forgive me for not being more attentive on the posting of the shed. The photo is not of my smoke shed. However it is what i am building at the moment. The photo is a pine plank smoker shed. My shed i am building is along the same as the photo but with a run of blocks at the bottom. If some of you remember back in the winter i posted i was working on a project this is it.

Again sorry for not posting with the photo that it was not mine.

nepas

PS  mine is better than the posted photo  ;D

Stickbowcrafter

Yep, old fridges are pretty popular with the do-it-yourself crowd. Here's one my friend built and he turns out some some amazing products.

I was actually going to build a similar one until I found the OBS and realized I could cold smoke with it with a little modification.

I don't need any more space than the OBS offers, as of now, but if you need more room, this is not a bad way to go.

-Brian

iceman

Nice clean set up Stickbow. Looks like your little helper approves too!!! :D ;D ;)

Smoking Duck

I like your setup Brian and the pic of your helper is absolutely priceless.  My little 6 year old daughter (who could probably make Jesus cuss) is a big reason I'm getting into smoking.  She absolutely loves smoked foods.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

smokin stu

Brian, how did you seal that box, or do you need to?

pensrock

Does anyone know how big an area a Bradley smoke generator will fill? The reason I'm asking is I build a smokehouse years ago and am thinking about using it for smoking my cheeses. I would like to do at least 50 pounds at a time and the Bradley is way too small. Right now I use a small propane burner in the smokehouse but only used it gor sausage and turkeys because it gets too hot for cheese. If the smoke generator will fill a 3 foot by 3 foot by six foot tall shed it might do just what I am thinking about. I'll try to show a picture of the smokehouse when it was first built, its much much darker inside now after using it for years.

Mr Walleye

IceMan uses the smoke generator on his home built units and I would say his are every bit as big as yours. Hopefully he will be along and post a comment.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Pensrock

Here is a thread that has some pictures of Pat's (Iceman) home built set up.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4808.0

Mike

pensrock

Wow, the Iceman's units look great! Mine looks like an old outhouse... lol. But as long as it makes great product, that's all I care about. I would say if the generator works on his smokers it should do the job on mine, I'll have to make up a cold smoker conversion box and adapt it into my BDS as well as the outhouse smoker. Can you tell me how you connect the flexable vent hose into the Bradley?

Mr Walleye

Nothing special to make it fit. It's the aluminium 4 inch flexible vent and it fits snugly in place. Some guys use a little bit of the foil type tape for ducts on it but mine is just stuck into the tower and I slightly flared it from the inside.

The Iceman's set up is very sweet! He's the king of smoke for sure!  8)

Mike

West Coast Kansan

Bradley website propaganda claims the smoke generator is adaquate for up to 50 cubic feet.  I have no reason to doubt it at all.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

iceman

Nice set up pensrock. The generator will handle that size smoker no problem. The only thing I notice between using the big smoker instead of the Bradley is I have to smoke longer to get the same color/taste to equal the Bradley smoked food. I think it's a combo of more food and the larger area that causes this. Also you'll find out that the condensation is less in the bigger smoker which is good for salmon and jerky. Looks like you don't have to worry about outside temps dropping to low where your at so pre heating shouldn't be an issue. It takes a good 2 hours up here to warm mine up in the winter. You should be able to mount the generator on a small wood box and run a hose to the smoker for cold smoking cheese. I'm in the middle of building a heated shed to keep the chill off when it gets below zero so I can smoke year round and keep my rum and coke from freezing :o :D
Get some food in that thing and send us some pictures!! ;D

pensrock

If I need heat you can see the propane burner in the bottom of the smoker. When I do cheese now it takes from 2-6 hours depending on the kind of cheese. Swiss smokes real fast where american and others take longer. I have not tried it in the Bradley yet, I'm expecting to knock an hour or so off the total time using the Bradley.

I have not done cheese in the big smoker you see in the pics, that was mainly used for sausages and poultry. I would try to keep it around 150-160 F. My sausages all have cure in them and the birds are brined so the cold smoking works well. Everything still needs cooked after smoking.

I made a cold smoker out of an old gas grill and duct the smoke into it from a hot plate, but even using this the outside temp needs to be below 40 F. If I use the smoke generator in the big smoker and it takes longer than the Bradley that is not a problem because I can probably do 3-4 times more product in the big smoker.

As for the outside temps dropping low check out the pic.