Questions before I buy

Started by clembo, June 10, 2007, 05:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clembo

Hi guys,

This forum is great, I just found it yesterday but it has been very helpful. I have been smoking meats for about 8 years with a traditional side box charcol and wood smoker. I think I will buy a Bradley as I don't always have the time to deal with the old method. My questions are -

1. Do you have to cut Baby Back Ribs to fit on the racks or are the racks long enough to hold uncut ribs?

2. Can you fit two Pork Shoulders (8-10 lbs) on a rack?

3. I think I will buy the 6 Rack version although I am a bit hesitant as some have stated that it is harder to monitor temp. Any thoughts? How much meat can you fit in a 4 rack?

4. Do I need Bubba Pucks and exactly why?

Sorry for the lengthy questions, but I love the results that I have learned to achieve with my old smoker and I just want to be sure that the Bradley will be a great new addition to the family. I'll also include a tip to a few newbie smokers that have experienced blackening on their meats - use Turbinado or Sugar in the Raw instead of Brown Sugar for your rub, it has a higher burning temperature and tastes the same.

Thanks in advance.

Smoke_Lover

Hi clembo;

Thanks for the tip on the sugar.  I was curious why so many recipes called for the Turbinado sugar.

I have only had mine for a week so until someone with more experience has a chance to answer your questions, I know one.  I just smoked 4 full racks of spareribs, which I think are about the same length as baby backs.  They fit the width but was tight against the wall.  I have the 6 rack.

I am also a newbie smoker and that is why I went for the BS.  The reviews I read rated it number 1 in the so called LazyQs.

Well I hope this helps some.  I am sure others will post with more info.

Smoke Lover

You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Gizmo

Welcome Clembo,
You can put one smaller full rack of ribs on one shelf but most racks will need to be bent in order to fit and then they will touch the sides of the box.  Food touch the sides is not a good thing as the grease can run down the sides and there would then be the possibility of a grease fire.  The V-Tray channels the grease into the water bowl.
Most cut the ribs into two sections and then put them on one rack.

As for fitting 2 Pork Shoulders - I have been able to put 2 on one shelf but I don't recall the size.  The same would apply for touching the sides, so if they fit without touching each other or the sides, your good to go.

The 6 rack is not any more harder to monitor temperature (or control), than the 4 rack digital or the original.  Since there is more area, there will be larger potential for variation in the temperature from the source of the heat (bottom rear of cabinet) to the top of the cabinet.

Bubba Pucks - In order to push the last puck of a smoke onto the burner, it is advisable to do so with a Bubba Puck (aluminum).  The object on the ramp next to the burner will get hot and since it touches the smoldering puck on the burner, it will partially burn if it is wood.  You can save yourself a wood puck by using the Bubba Pucks.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Welcome clembo.  I think Giz has pretty much answered your questions here.  I also have a side firebox unit.  You will find that the BS generally takes longer due to the low temps but is so user friendly that you will have more time to do other things while smoking.  Keep the old unit for beef, especially steaks which require a hotter smoke for perfection.  You can do steaks, etc. in the BS but they will need to be cold smoked and then grilled.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Clembo, Welcome.  The most calming thing I can tell you about volume of meats cooked at one time is forget the last 8 years  ;D

BS is different.  You can do enough to feed a major crew of folks at one time.

But you dont have to.   :D

I will often do one roaster chicken and that is it.  You dont have to think about being handcuffed to a chunkwood smoker all weekend to smoke something.  So the need to do a lot at once is removed just like you said you wanted,,, but there are other advantages also.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

clembo

Guys,

Thanks for the reply's, each of you helped me make my decision. I will order the Digital 6 Rack tonight and I do look forward to using it. I will also get a bunch of wood pucks in many flavors. I hope to paticipate as an active member of the board, I'll share thoughts and tips along the way.

Low and Slow,

Clembo

Kummok

Quote from: clembo on June 10, 2007, 05:18:24 AM
......4. Do I need Bubba Pucks and exactly why?......

Short version....Yes!! Why? Because my grandkids need the college funding!! ;) ;D

Juussst kidding, (sorta?!?!) Bubba Pucks were "invented" to avoid excessive waste of expensive bisquettes. BPs take the place of the two bisquettes that would be necessary to push your last NEEDED puck out onto the burner and thus become "sacrificial" because they are "spoiled" by heat as they do their job. If you are only using your smoker a few times a year, you probably don't need them. If, on the other hand, you're using the smoker quite a bit, you're saving two bisquettes per smoking session by using the Bubba Puck. Another advantage is that the Bubba Pucks don't smolder, as do the bisquettes, if you're "cooking" longer than you're smoking. Bradley feels that this smoldering is enough of a problem that they provide the bowl to fill with water and dunk your spent bisquette when its 20 minutes is up....not sure I'm totally convinced that this is a problem but Bradley is......

IKnowWood

clembo

welcome

I also have been smoking stuff for several years on a water smoker for my family and with the OBS (Original Bradley Smoker) 4 rack, I have done up to 20 lbs of Pulled pork (on half the space) lost of ribs, countless cold smoked bacon, cheese, nuts (Pecan, Pistachio & Almond), beef roasts, Chicken roasters, and Turkey Breasts. 

I have been doing this for almost 2 years now with the bradley and I am still learning techniques, trips, heat-up and FTC and a lot of things along the way.  his forum and especially he recipe board has helped create a knowledge base for all of us.

Look around, get confused.. ask, were here to help ... all of us, as we are and will contiue to be helped to refine and craft our art of smoked good food and practice.  We are living our adventure, tasty one at that.  Welcome to our adventure, we wlecome you..  Have fun..
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

HCT

Welcome clembo, keep us posted with your new adventures with the Bradley.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you will feel free to share your adventures, ask questions, and to take advantage of the wealth of information here.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stickbowcrafter

Welcome aboard. I've been smoking with wood and charcoal for years and recently picked up a Bradley because I have become interested in smoking sausages and meats that require more precision and control. It's so versatile, I wish I would have bought one sooner. I do a lot of cold smoking now and I can offset the smoke generator to get the temp LOW http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5264.0

I don't think you can go wrong with the DBS. I had enough Cabela's points saved up to pay for an OBS (original Bradley smoker). I thought about getting the digital but I didn't. Ended up adding a digital temperature switch to mine anyhow for precision http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5423.0 It runs like a top now. I imagine that your new digital model will do the same thing.

Good luck and happy smoking  ;D

-Brian

NePaSmoKer

Welcome clembo

Lots of great info here and good folks. I started smokin when i was 17 with an old little chief and have had all sorts of smokers you name em but the BS is by far the best i have had. Enjoy  ;D

nepas

sherlock

I have NEVER smoked anything. I love the taste of good smoked meat and want to do more the I can accomplish on my gas grill. Everything I read seems to indicate that the DBS is what I want to buy. Most of my smoking will be small loads, mostly just two people but occasionally (though rarely), ten people. I want to smoke sausage, pork butts, ribs, chicken, turkey, etc.

1. I have read some negative reviews that indicate that the wooden fuel pucks sometimes get stuck and they end up with unsmoked meat. I realize that if one keeps their eyes on the smoker this may be caught and corrected before its a problem. However, that defeats my rationale for buying the DBS. Has any of you experienced this situation?

2. Will a four rack unit suffice for group of two to ten?

Thanks for your help.

begolf25

sherlock,

1. I have heard of some members having this problem but not very often. It can be caused by a few things like a faulty generator or not leaving your vent open far enough and causing the smoke to back up into the generator and gum up the works. Iceman has some good pics of what this looks like.

But one thing you can be sure of is if this does happen Bradley will be there to take care of your problem ASAP. Their customer service is excellent.

2. Yes, a 4 rack will have plenty of space to feed a party of 2-10.

GL with your decision,

Bryan

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sherlock on July 12, 2007, 06:36:34 AM
I have NEVER smoked anything. I love the taste of good smoked meat and want to do more the I can accomplish on my gas grill. Everything I read seems to indicate that the DBS is what I want to buy. Most of my smoking will be small loads, mostly just two people but occasionally (though rarely), ten people. I want to smoke sausage, pork butts, ribs, chicken, turkey, etc.

1. I have read some negative reviews that indicate that the wooden fuel pucks sometimes get stuck and they end up with unsmoked meat. I realize that if one keeps their eyes on the smoker this may be caught and corrected before its a problem. However, that defeats my rationale for buying the DBS. Has any of you experienced this situation?

2. Will a four rack unit suffice for group of two to ten?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the BSF sherlock

Which ever 4 rack you buy you will love it. All my smokes have turned out great. Make sure when dropping the pucks into the tube they sit flat on oneanother so the advancement can push each puck.

GL with your Bradley smoker choice.

nepas  ;D