Questions before I buy

Started by clembo, June 10, 2007, 05:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brderj

Bradley should be paying you guess, no joke!!  ;D  I will make my purchase tomorrow...6 rack DBS with the sample pack of pucks and a cover.  I'll have it shipped to my cousins house and he will hold it until I get home.  Then I will be a posting fool....All because of all your help through out...Thanks guys!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sherlock on July 12, 2007, 06:36:34 AM
I have NEVER smoked anything. I love the taste of good smoked meat and want to do more the I can accomplish on my gas grill. Everything I read seems to indicate that the DBS is what I want to buy. Most of my smoking will be small loads, mostly just two people but occasionally (though rarely), ten people. I want to smoke sausage, pork butts, ribs, chicken, turkey, etc.

1. I have read some negative reviews that indicate that the wooden fuel pucks sometimes get stuck and they end up with unsmoked meat. I realize that if one keeps their eyes on the smoker this may be caught and corrected before its a problem. However, that defeats my rationale for buying the DBS. Has any of you experienced this situation?

2. Will a four rack unit suffice for group of two to ten?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to what Begolf reported, improper loading of the bisquettes can also cause the mechanism to jam. So when loading make sure all bisquettes are laying flat, if any get put in at an angle it will not feed properly.

The 4 rack models will be more then enough to accommodate your needs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nickld

Hi folks. 

I'm a newbie to the OBS (Had mine for a week and a half) but so far I love it. Got a smaller pork butt on right now and it just hit 176 according to the remote thermometer. I chose it instead of an offset smoker because I think it will serve my needs better.  I live in an apartment and have a weber if I want to grill something. Did some Copper River sockeye salmon the first night.  Not bad for the first time although I should have stopped the smoke after 3-4 hours! Also did some beef jerky.  I've been making jerky in a dehydrator for several years and friends tell me its some of the best they have ever had. Still working on a good technique for the smoker.  I think maybe 4 hours smoke and finish in dehydrator.  Any suggestions?

West Coast Kansan

Nickld, welcome.  Good questions. My comments would be related to the time you smoke.  I have found a little bradley smoke goes a long ways.  It seems odd at first but you might start with a couple of hours (short smoke times) and then increase the time in the next smoke if you did not get the flavor you wanted.  ;) I oversmoked everything at first and then regained control  ;D after.   Welcome again!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Quote from: nickld on July 12, 2007, 06:09:59 PM
  I've been making jerky in a dehydrator for several years and friends tell me its some of the best they have ever had. Still working on a good technique for the smoker.  I think maybe 4 hours smoke and finish in dehydrator.  Any suggestions?

Try both methods and see which you prefer.  I only smoke for 3-4 hours then finish in the dehydrator.  I seem to like the texture better but then I have not gone full time on the smoker.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/