Anyone interested in Making me a PID setup or selling an old one?

Started by danresqman, June 15, 2007, 10:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danresqman

First off, I am sooo glad i found this place, just bought a used BS and falling in love with it. I wanted digital but couldn't find it used, and got such a steal on the BS that i figured i could upgrade in time.

I have been reading allot about the PID setups you all have been building. I was looking at getting the Guru with the Raptor, but the PID seems like a better option for now.

The down side is i have zero electrical knowledge, but would be willing to PAY good money for someone's time and effort.  IF you can help or if there is a concise set by set idiot proof plans please let me know.

I hope this is not inappropriate for a first timer post.

Thanks for all your knowledge,
Dan

Tiny Tim

Welcome to the board.

I'm in the process of building my PID using the plans on the recipe site (click on the smoker in my signature for the recipe site, then under Bradley Accessories or something like that, the link to the PID instructions).

It looks to be written well enough that I can follow it, but make sure on the wiring diagram, you read it from right to left.  Also, the thermocouple in the parts list is from Auber, many here recommend using an Omega instead.  Omega has a website, or they are available on ebay most of the time from a user with the screen name of "kulast" or something close to that.  I picked up a pair of them with 8 foot leads, 6 inch stainless probe 3/16 diameter, for about $17.50 plus shipping.

One more thing, it's not in the original plans, but a lot of people put a pair of fuses in there too.  One on the main input wire that is 10 Amps, and another on the hot going into the PID controller that is 1 Amp.

I hope I've helped.

chuck steak

car54

Unfortunately, unless you are licensed and insured to sell a product, with todays liability laws a friendly for profit exchange could back fire. I made one free for my grandson's father and he loved it.

Take the challenge and make your own. You must know someone with electrical experience that can advise you.

Brad

Tiny Tim

Quote from: car54 on June 15, 2007, 01:02:20 PM
Unfortunately, unless you are licensed and insured to sell a product, with todays liability laws a friendly for profit exchange could back fire. I made one free for my grandson's father and he loved it.

Take the challenge and make your own. You must know someone with electrical experience that can advise you.

Brad

This is why I gave advice instead of offering to do it.  I trust my work, but not enough to bet somebody else's possessions on it.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  When it comes to electronics I can not even advise.  All thumbs in that department.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

I made one for myself, used it 2 time and sold it to a forum member, I think its working good still cuz i have not had any  emails from him.......or fire marshals at my house  :D  :D

nepas

CLAREGO

CLAREGO

smokin stu

I have very close to zero experince and knowledge of electricity, but managed to put together a nice PID.  I love it.  Use the recipe and diagrams that you find on this site and give her a try. 

Knowing nothing about electricity, and knowing someone who does and also loves what I cook in the BS, I had a VERY helpful friend who knew what I needed to do.

danresqman

Thanks for all the encouragement and welcomes.  I am thinking about trying it, especially after ruining ribs this weekend....
PS...Roofing and Moving the Slider to control temp are not easily co-ordinated...but then again neither am I.

I do have a new angle/question. I have seen several members using Temp Control Switch (such as these: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5423.0 http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2574.30 ) vs. PID. Can someone help me understand the difference, and more importantly if i can get by with a simple TS vs when i would want a PID?

Thanks in advance
Dan

Arcs_n_Sparks

danresqman,

You can easily get by with the TS.

Arcs_n_Sparks

danresqman

thanks for all the help guys...gonna start with a TS...

Dan

NePaSmoKer

danresqman

Thanks for all the help, I went for the TS had it overnighted and put it to use yesterday...the switch was a dream (while i was dreaming i had two remote thermo with a high and low alarm...set to 210 never fell below 195 or above 230!!!)

I kinda wish i went for the PID, especially after getting the TS up and wired sooo quickly, with Zero problems!! I did need something quick though so for now it is working great...now if i can just figure out why my butt won't pull....

I will post a pic in a day or so..but thanks for all the insight and encouragment

Dan