First ribs

Started by mdhunter, May 11, 2007, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Quote from: pyrodonkey on June 08, 2007, 06:31:31 AM
I have questions about removing the membrane.  How do you do it?  Are you talking about the thin sheath on the non-meat side of the ribs?  Last time I did ribs, I tried to remove this but found it next to impossible.  Any tips?  Thanks

Matches and Kerosene. (would you believe I started thinking of ways to tell you to burn it off before I even saw the "pyro" part of your name?  I did, seriously.)

My serious answer echoes what icerat posted.

pyrodonkey

yeah I was gonna take a blowtorch to it.  lol   Do you remove the membrane before or after the marinade time?  Do you cut them first?  Gotta be an easier way.  Frenching lamb chops is easier than removing that darn membrane.  Have you guys got a good marinade or do you just use plane apple cider?  Beer maybe?  Buttermilk?  Suggestions 

Tiny Tim

Membrane is removed before doing anything else to the meat.  I usually just dry rub and let 'em chill for a while before smokin' 'em, but there's a thread in the Meat section I believe about marinating them as well.

Many guys here spray with apple juice (some of them with other stuff mixed in) periodically after the smoke is done.

pyrodonkey

I usually just dry rub too but this time I wanted to experiment with a liquid marinade overnight followed by a dry rub 1 hr before smoking. I think I will do 3 racks.  One marinaded with apple juice and spices, one with beer, and one with buttermilk. I will also have to figure out how to get that membrane off.  I like a little char on the outside.  I am thinking about smoking for 3-4 hours at about 190, then charcoal grill, indirect around 250-275 for about 30-45 min untill ribs start to expose. Finally, WP(paper sack)C for 2 more hours.  Yep, that is what I am gonna do.

Tiny Tim

Let us know how they go.

hillbillysmoker

For your concern about removing the membrane.  This is a good video showing the process.  I hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks-J1pJ7xQ
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

icerat4

Good one,If that dosent do it .Then bail out.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

LilSmoker

Sometimes bending the ribs a few times seems to loosen the membrane, i have a great method now......my wife does them!

Seriously, one weekend we were smoking a fair bit of food for visitors, which included lots of ribs, so my wife asked if i needed a hand removing the membranes?. I gave her a crash course on what to do, and she soon got the hang of it, and now does them amazingly quick.

Obviously this leaves me more time to do something more creative......like having a beer or something

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes