Pink Salt Substitue for Morton's TQ

Started by Habanero Smoker, June 19, 2007, 02:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

Is your ingredients by weight or volume?

JD

Habanero Smoker

All ingredients are measured by weight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bushman

In your Canadian bacon dry cure recipe that you use TQ in it. Could you just replace the 1 TBL  per pound with Prague #1 1 tbl per pound

FLBentRider

MTQ has Cure #1 in it, but they are not interchangable. You can add (salt and sugar I believe) to cure #1 to make a MTQ subsitute.

The ratio is in the first post in this thread - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5463.msg51124#msg51124
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Bushman,
FLBR has given you great advice.  Under NO circumstances should you substitute Prague #1 for MTQ in the same quantities.  Totally different thing.  Please refer to the link that FLBR provided you.  You don't want to make your family and friends ill.

KyNola 

Habanero Smoker

Bushman;

For the Basic Dry Cure, the most important thing after measuring the ingredients is to make sure all ingredients are well mixed and evenly distributed.

The Basic Dry Cure formula is also on the Recipe Site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bushman

Thanks guys it`s much appreciated. I was told that it was fine as a replacement from a massive sausage making factory. The person giving info should read up before giving others info.

Thanks Again

bushman

I do not have a scale to measure the amounts for the recipie , could you please post the basic dry rub in tablespoons

Thank you

Habanero Smoker

For sausage making you can use Prague Powder #1, but not in the same amount as Morton's TQ. If making less then 4 pounds of sausage you use 1/4 teaspoon of Prague Powder #1 for each pound or meat and fat. Since the 1/4 teaspoon is round off for larger amounts use 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds. But then you will need to figure how much salt and sugar to add, if the recipe does not include it. It may be a good idea to post your recipe so others can take a look at it, and give you a better idea of how to substitute Prague Powder #1.

I'll measure the ingredient by volume, but once I post the measurement by volume you cannot substitute the type of salt you will be using. Pickling salt does not measure by volume the same as Kosher or sea salt. That is the same with sugar, I will post the volume for white granular sugar, so raw sugar, turbinado sugar or demerara sugar can not be used. I should be able to post that tomorrow morning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Though it is best to measure by weight many members may not have a scale. The following is the Basic Cure recipe measured by volume. Since volume is being used you must use the ingredients listed, and do not substitute with any other type of salt such as kosher, sea salt; or use any other sugar other then white granular sugar.

Pickling salt is table salt without any additive or iodine, it is also called Canning Salt, or Purified Salt. The sugar used is regular white granule sugar.

Basic Dry Cure (by volume)
25 Tablespoons    Pickling Salt (or 1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tablespoon)
17 Tablespoons    White Granular Sugar (or 1 C plus 4 teaspoons to be more precise)
10 teaspoons       Pink Salt (or 3 Tablespoons plus 1 Teaspoon)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

carnie1

Habs, is there a  MortonsTQ to pink salt ratio, in other words can you convert TQ to pink salt in a recipe such as maple cured bacon. I have plenty of TQ here but found what I think is pink salt but its white(LEGG CURE 6.25%) I marked #1 on the pkg but the date concerns me 1-12-05 , think I can still use it? just got a 10 lb pork belly and I know it will take a few days to get an order of pink sale here in south florida

KyNola

Carnie,
Why not just use TQ?  I make pork belly bacon often using TQ and brown sugar as the cure mix.  I wouldn't risk a curing agent that I didn't have confidence in.

Just my opinion.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Hi Carnie;

If it hasn't turned hard, it is still good. If it has a few lumps in it that easily fall apart under light pressure that is alright. The shelf life of sodium nitrite is indefinite, unless it is effected by moisture and/or light.

You may want to test it on a thin piece of meat such as a pork chop.
Thoroughly Mix
1 teaspoon of your cure
2.5 Tablespoons of pickling salt
4 teaspoons of sugar

This will give you a small batch of the Dry Cure that you can use to test. Apply it to the pork chop using 1 Tablespoon per pound ratio, and let it cure for a day. Then slit the meat and see if the inside is red in color. If it is your cure is still good.

If I understand the question correctly, the Basic Dry Cure is the pink salt substitute for TQ. For bellies I use the Basic Dry Cure with the option of adding more sugar and or other ingredients, such as KyNola adds sugar to TQ. It basically measured the same as TQ; for a dry cure you don't have to be exact in the final measurement, but accurate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Habs, did you ever think of writing a book? I would be your first reader. Autographed copy please. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

carnie1

Quote from: carnie1 on January 12, 2009, 06:47:16 PM
Habs, is there a  MortonsTQ to pink salt ratio, in other words can you convert TQ to pink salt in a recipe such as maple cured bacon. I have plenty of TQ here but found what I think is pink salt but its white(LEGG CURE 6.25%) I marked #1 on the pkg but the date concerns me 1-12-05 , think I can still use it? just got a 10 lb pork belly and I know it will take a few days to get an order of pink sale here in south florida
I should of worded this better  , Is there a MortonsTQ to your Basic dry cure ratio?   Have pink salt on order but won't be here till next week also they gave me some pink salt at the meat mkt but they don't know if its #1 or #2 (language barrier)  , so I don't want to play guess which one it is,but I got a few bags of TQ and a bag of Mortons suger cure.