Trouble with smoker

Started by phack, September 27, 2004, 06:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phack

Okay, I'm a newbie. I bought my smoker about 2 weeks ago and smoke some salmon and yellowtail that came out great. This weekend had the wife's family over and smoked some ribs and burgers but the smoker would not heat above 175 degrees, even with the tempature slide all the way over. I wanted it in the 200-225 range but it would not heat up above the 175 level. So my question(s) is(are) is this normal? is my smoker working properly? Is there a secret to getting it to heat up above 175?[?]

MallardWacker

pk,

You should be able to get to those temps with no problem.  What about an extenion cord???  Was it on one?   This could be a problem if it is of a too light of a guage and type.  If it was my house and it happened I know exactly what caused the problem: those them there <font color="red"><b><u><i>IN-LAWS</i></u></b></font id="red">[}:)], my word all they have to do is show up and things happen!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I use a very heavy, 40 amp power strip on mine, and works just like I was plugging into the house.  I bet Mallard is right on your problem and solution.  Even with the smoke generator off, you should still get higher temps off the cathode lamp alone.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

phack

It was on a 25' heavy gage extension cord. And, well, I don't want to blame the in-laws--yet.