First bacon in OBS

Started by Stickbowcrafter, June 22, 2007, 07:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

A chef friend of mine spoiled my wife with an outstanding slab of fresh (never frozen) bacon. I've been hearing about it since we polished it off so I finally got around to picking up a pork belly. This is the real deal here, farm raised, hormone free. This one is about 8 lbs, cut in half (stacked on top of each other in picture). Real simple honey cure here.

1 cup Salt
4 Tbl #1 curing salt (aka pink salt, Instacure No. 1, Prague powder #1 or DQ curing salt #1)
2 cups honey
(I threw in a handful of brown sugar, not necessary though)

Mix the salt and curing salt together. Rub thoroughly into bacon. Pour honey on the bacon so it's distributed evenly. Be sure to do this in a 2 gallon ziploc or other non-reactive container that can be sealed. You want the ingredients to mix with the natural liquids to form a sort of brine for the belly slabs to marinade or "cure" in.

Seal up the ziploc or container and place it into the fridge for 6 days. Place a weight on top of the ziploc bag or container lid (in this case, you want the container to be tight with a flexible lid), a 12 pack of beer works nicely as a weight. I've been turning the bacon every other day.

To be continued in the OBS...

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Got one slab out, removed the skin and refrigerated. Here's the second slab coming off the smoker. Hickory smoke for about 3 hours and brought the internal temp up to 128 degrees.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

You won't see anything this pretty at the grocery store. Nice stuff, eh?

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

You can never go wrong with fresh Italian bread French toast and some fresh fruit. I was a hero this morning.

-Brian

Mr Walleye

Great Job Stick!

Man... I'm at work and real hungry now!  ;D

I've done Canadian Bacon but not Belly Bacon. Looks excellent!
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

CLAREGO

hey stick whats the pound ratio looks real good i need to find a good slicer. ive use high mountains bbb cure and turned out good but the color on yours is like seeing castro fall off the stage (Amazing)

iceman

Quote from: Stickbowcrafter on June 22, 2007, 07:24:43 AM
You won't see anything this pretty at the grocery store. Nice stuff, eh?

-Brian

How does a poor starving dude go about ordering from you Stick??? :P :P :P
I belong to the "Bacon of the Month Club" and that by far looks better than anything I've seen.
Fantastic job you did there. ;) :)

standles

When you go to the butcher can/do you specify back belly or front belly or is it all one belly side and you cut it up?  Folks sat the back belly makes better bacon.

Can't wait to try the applewood smoked bacon

Steven

hillbillysmoker

Looks great stick...thanks for sharing.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stickbowcrafter

Thanks everyone.

Clarego, I don't know the pound ratio. But I know this was fresh pork belly from a farm raised pig. No hormones or any other stuff found in regular commercial pork.

Hold your order Ice, this may be beginner's luck ;D

Steve, I just ask for a pork belly. I was given a 7-8 pound slab with the skin on. I cut it in half so it would fit in the smoker. I removed the skin just after smoking and cut into smaller slabs for storing/sharing. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: standles on June 22, 2007, 03:51:28 PM
When you go to the butcher can/do you specify back belly or front belly or is it all one belly side and you cut it up?  Folks sat the back belly makes better bacon.

Can't wait to try the applewood smoked bacon

Steven

That depends on the butcher or place you buy it. Where I get mine, I have to purchase the full slab, which averages around 12 pounds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chuck steak

and what is the price per lb (I think i missed it) for the raw slab...it do lQQk good, CONGRATS

CLAREGO

i pay over 3lb a pound maybe napas has an idea where i can get it cheeper

HCT

Damn Stick, that bacon came out picture perfect.  :o Like Habs where I get my belly from you have to purchase the whole slab which averages from 12 to 14 pounds.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

smokin stu

Man, we should have mandatory warningsor ratings when there are photos.  Kinda like in the movies, rated for everyone, or "WARNING:  Those not near a food source are advised to read this post at a later time."

I have GOT to try that bacon recipe.  Thanks for sharing Stick.