First bacon in OBS

Started by Stickbowcrafter, June 22, 2007, 07:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

QuoteWarning, skinning a belly will challenge your will power.

Yep..... a heck of a tedious job although as HS says, bacon turns out better if it's done beforehand !! 

I have found my salmon knife is the best knife for skinning pork loin and belly as it has a rounded tip rather than sharp tip but maybe that is just me?  :)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;
Thanks for the tip. I'm getting ready to order a couple of slabs. What is the length of your salmon knife.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

More smoke flavor makes sense.  Pig skin is a pretty effective protective layer.  I think i will just stay lazy, we are getting the flavor we are looking for...   Thanks  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

QuoteWhat is the length of your salmon knife.

12" blade, be interested to see how you find it but the rounded tip certainly helps me when skinning pork.

It may be even easier with a smaller blade as it is the round tip more than the length of the blade that helps IMHO.

Not looked for a smaller knife with a rounded tip as yet?
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on July 11, 2007, 01:23:14 AM

12" blade, be interested to see how you find it but the rounded tip certainly helps me when skinning pork.

It may be even easier with a smaller blade as it is the round tip more than the length of the blade that helps IMHO.

Not looked for a smaller knife with a rounded tip as yet?

I forgot to ask the second part of my question. Is it a flexible or rigid blade. Also; I've been planning to purchase a 12" slicer. I know you posted the brand name of your slicer in the past, but I can't recall which brand you did purchase. Or do you have any other recommendations?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteI forgot to ask the second part of my question. Is it a flexible or rigid blade. Also; I've been planning to purchase a 12" slicer. I know you posted the brand name of your slicer in the past, but I can't recall which brand you did purchase. Or do you have any other recommendations?

The one I got has a pretty rigid blade, it is from a French company called Laguiole. Amazon amongst others sell the salmon knife.

http://www.laguiole.com/index2.htm

I have been more than happy with this knife although I am sure there are better (and more expensive!) around. The wooden handle is very comfortable which is helpful when skinning pork loin/belly etc.

Certainly the best knife I have come across to date for skinning and also very good for slicing my cold smoked salmon and bacon plus hams etc.

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;

Finally got a chance to check out the site. They do have some unique knives. I'll check Amazon.com to see if they have the 12" slicer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteThey do have some unique knives.

They certainly do, this one at $770 is one I won't be getting! 

http://www.laguiole.com/images/exceptionaljuniper6.jpg

Hope you find the 12" salmon knife on Amazon.com
Manxman

Bad Flynch

Congratulations on such an excellent job! Your recipe reminds me of one that I used years ago called Honey Bacon. I'm sure that the eating makes all of the hassle worth it.

When I made the honey bacon, I used a process very similar to yours, but with the exception of using Morton's TQ. The end product was very good, but had a slight tendency to burn when cooked due to the high sugar content (it would caramelize easily). I found that low, slow cooking was in order.

I am at a little bit of a loss about all of the fuss over the rind being on or off the bacon. Years ago, the rinds were included as a matter of course here. Nowadays, it is hard to find a fresh side with a rind. The comments about the bacon being less smoky are well taken, but it seemed to me that it was just fine if I left the thing in the smoke a little longer and then let it stabilize in the smoker for some time. I seems the smoke penetrates the meat better if it has a good resting period.

I have an added motive about the rinds: in the States, it is common to use the rinds as flavoring for other dishes, e.g., baked beans or bean soup stock, so there are good reasons for some of us to continue the practice of leaving the rind on.

I came across this thread quite late, so I hope that my comments are not redundant.
B.F.

West Coast Kansan

BF just a preference thing on the rind  ;) I do agree with you the smoke flavor improves with time in the fridge even if only overnight. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Stickbowcrafter

Quote from: Skipystu on July 09, 2007, 03:02:28 PMIf you have to hang it, what kinda setup do you use?

I do a lot of sausage in my OBS and I like a simple hickory dowel rod or two. Just cut to length to fit in the OBS.

-Brian

manxman

Quoteit is common to use the rinds as flavoring for other dishes, e.g., baked beans or bean soup stock,

Yes, on this side of the pond also, as WCK says just personnal preference.

When I smoke a pork loin or belly for bacon I also smoke the bits I have trimmed off to tidy it up, tend to use them in bean and soup dishes too.  ;)
Manxman

Macman

Couple of points here from when dad was alive and cold smoked a hundred or so of bacons and hams at a time.

1.  Fillet knife removes the skin after smoking - he used to cold smoke 2-3 days with the skin on and use a flexible fillet style knife to remove the skin. 

2. Use the skin as a flavoring ie when you fry something, put a piece of the skin into the fat to add a smokey flavor to what your cooking.  You can also use in place of salt pork (if you leave some fat on it when skinned) if you prefer a smokey flavor to the dished.

3. Because of the cold smoking process, skin on was ok. But with the limited time in the Bradley ( i am sure no one wants to smoke that long...lol) skin off makes sense to maximize the smoke absorption.

This is repeated from my bro, and not my ideas... had a great conversation with him...lol

manxman

Quote3. Because of the cold smoking process, skin on was ok. But with the limited time in the Bradley ( i am sure no one wants to smoke that long...lol) skin off makes sense to maximize the smoke absorption.

Yes, I agree. That's the very reason I take the skin off when cold smoking bacon.  :)
Manxman