Pork Butt in Guinness

Started by Oriondriver, June 25, 2007, 08:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oriondriver

Alright... tried this one this weekend... it is a keeper... I used an 8# pork shoulder... rubbed it down with Coopers Original rub... then put it in a disposable aluminum roasting pan filled with Guinness... 4 hours of smoke with Apple wood... 16 hours total to hit 195 degrees at ~200... then 4 hours FTCing.... TO DIE FOR tender... unique taste... kids even had seconds...

Scott
Unless you are the lead dog... the view is always the same!

CLAREGO

thats different sounds good how much smokey flavor you get ?

Habanero Smoker

Sounds good. I may give this a try, but I need to use Samual Adams ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

Habs:  Why Sam Adams rather than Guinness? 
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

I have nothing against Guinness. Right now I'm just hooked on Samuel Adams. Especially their seasonal brews. I can't get enough of their Summer Ale, and they have a Cherry Wheat that is the best for marinades, that is while you are not drinking it. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oriondriver

Not too much smokey flavor... just about the right amount... my wife despises smokey flavors and loved this one... Apple wood is really mellow enough...

Not sure about the Sam Adams... Guinness made a really nice syrupy gravy... makes my mouth water just talking about it... would love to hear your results with Sam...

Keeper recipe for us....

Scott
Unless you are the lead dog... the view is always the same!

Consiglieri

I haven't used the Guinness for a smoke or BBQ, but there was a recipe for shepherd's pie at this pub that used Guinness as a gravy baste.  Much better than Maggies... mainly cuz most won't drink a pint of Maggie's with their lunch.  Actually produced a good result; much better than I would have guessed.  That order was one of my favorites off that menu.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

I have found Guinness a bit bitter if you "cook it" at to high a temp! A nice Porter can sub in a pinch and not have the bite of guinness. I know they are fundementally the "same" brew (ish) to me Guinness is well served as a bevy and in a shepherd's pie or steak and kidney where the strong flavors of the meat can stand up to it. I don't know if pork has the legs for Guinness? I'm usually wrong...so would love to hear feedback? I have a big pork butt in my feezer right now that is screaming for a new recipe!!

Malc

Habs, as you know I am with you on the Sam Addams.  When it is available, their Cranberry Lambic is good for marinades also.  I have used it with beer can chicken and in an injection liquid with turkey.  It works well.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Malc on July 20, 2007, 06:27:52 PM
Habs, as you know I am with you on the Sam Addams.  When it is available, their Cranberry Lambic is good for marinades also.  I have used it with beer can chicken and in an injection liquid with turkey.  It works well.

Malc

Thanks for the tip. I may do something for Thanksgiving. You need to try the Cherry Wheat in a chicken marinade.

I
         don't
                   inhale.