Canada Day&4th Smokes? / Pork Loin ideas?

Started by goalieboy29, June 28, 2007, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goalieboy29

OK gang which of you fellow Cannuckleheads is doing a smoke this week-end?
Whatcha gonna do?

Some of you fellas to the South may also be planning a 4th of July tune-up? What's going in the SSBS?

As for me, well, the wife (god bless her little soul) just brought home 6 pounds of pig!
She saw a nice boneless pork loin roast and grabbed it. Now she wants me to smoke it real good....I fear she has pulled pork on her mind but I don't think the loin can be made "pullable". Any of you Pro's know better?

Habs, since you helped me out so much with the beef loin, I figured I could just use that same method.

I am, as usual, wide open to recipe ideas if anyone has the notion.

Love to here who's doing what.
It's the wood that makes it good.

Tiny Tim

Well, I'm gonna throw my brisket in the fridge (from the freezer), assuming I'm going to get the instructions needed for operating my newly assembled PID, and hopefully throw a little smoke at it starting on the third and finishing it on the Fourth, which also happens to be my birthday.

Can't really help ya on the loin.  If it were mine, I'd brine it overnight, shoot a couple of hours of apple smoke at it, then take it to 165-170 and slice for lunchmeat....but I don't have a wife to satisfy.

goalieboy29

Thanks Tim. Good luck with the brisket. Damn fine choice! HAPPY B.DAY!

Can't say I've ever "satisfied" the old gal but I do smoke stuff and she seems happy with that...

tsquared

My Canada day weekend is going to be split between salmon fishing (or pre smoking activity) and doing some butts for a Monday dinner. If I get some spring salmon I'm going to start curing them for a cold smoke later next week. It was my last day of teaching for the year today and  the fish are biting. Game on!  ;D Have a good one everybody.
T2
Goalie boy--here is a recipe I posted on another thread for loin.
Smoked Pork Tenderloin with plum-rosemary Marinade
Plum-Cassis Marinade (recipe below)
2-3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary leaves
apple or orange juice
3 lb pork tenderloin

Marinade
6 fresh plums, pitted and coarsely chopped(I freeze some from our tree every summer just for this recipe)
1/4 cup creme de cassis liqueur (black currant liqueur}
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dry Madeira wine
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg.

1) Boil plums and cassis then reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
Cool.
2)combine plum mixture with vinegar, wine, garlic, mustard, sugar and nutmeg and puree.

Cooking method
1)Combine marinade and rosemary and marinate pork overnight or for 8 hours.
2)Remove pork, boil marinade to baste with.
3) Use apple juice in the water pan of your smoker, smoke pork with apple or cherry or pecan until internal temp reaches 140 f.
4) Prepare to receive the accolades of your guests. This recipe is the one that convinced me that a smoker should be used for more than just salmon.It's from a cookbook called Marinades by Jim Tarantino. Hope you enjoy if you try it.

goalieboy29

Hey T,

That's funny. While you were typing I stumbled across that recipe of yours. I love the idea of
cassis and plums with pork. You figure I can just go ahead and smoke my loin roast same as a tenderloin? What chance do I have to make it "pullable"?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Goalieboy29;

You could prepare it the same way, with the seasonings of your choice, but there have been so many post on how good tsquared recipe turns out, I would give that a try. It should smoke/cook the same as tenderloin, but the texture will be a little less tender. Just trim the loin of all external fat and silver skin.

I recently seen a recipe on pulled pork using tenderloin or loin from a link from MSN site, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I would think it would come out dry, so you would need to cover it with a sauce after it is pulled. Which that recipe did call for. I do remember the last step was to cover with sauce and allow 20 for the meat to absorb some of the moisture from the sauce before severing. If I were to do pulled pork with a tenderloin, I wouldn't take it any higher then 165°F - 175°F. With tenderloin you don't have to worry about the connective tissue breaking down, because that muscle doesn't have that much.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

goalieboy29

Looks like I'm off to find some plums....I'll post the results later.

Hope everyone enjoys what is shaping up to be a beautiful long week-end.

Hey T, I just got back from Victoria. I moved out there in January to work for Uvic but the house prices scared me off! Thanks for the idea.

CLAREGO

yeah my mom used to make pork and sourkraut and tell you what it pull away but it was like eating a cracker it was that dry.

Carter

That Tenderloin sounds awesome Goalieboy.  Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

We're heading up to the cottage for Canada Day.  I can't imagine doing anything else.  It's another first for the BS and me.  We're packing it in the car and taking it with us so that I can do up some Ribs for my parents.  They're a lot more excited about seeing their grandson than eating my Ribs, but who knows, that may change by Sunday.

So we're packing up the car tomorrow morning with my wife, 6 month old, and the Bradley Smoker.  It's going to be a little tight so I told my wife she'd have to ride on the roof.  :D

She didn't find it that funny for some reason.

As for the Ribs, I'm going to 3 racks of Baby Backs and am going to use the Apple City Baby Back Ribs recipe from the Smoke and Spice Cookbook with a couple of hours of Hickory.  It worked really well when I did it a couple of weeks ago.

Hey I picked up some pucks for $15 yesterday at Canadian Tire.  They supposedly had Apple on sale as well, but I guess somebody scooped them.  I got old reliable (Hickory).

Happy Canada Day folks, and Happy Independence Day to our neighbours.

Carter

tsquared

QuoteHey T, I just got back from Victoria. I moved out there in January to work for Uvic but the house prices scared me off!
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you here. I sure wouldn't want to be a young person trying to get a family started and paying these ridiculous house prices. I know a lot of fine people who have pulled up stakes for the same reason.  Hope your pork works out for you!
T2

goalieboy29

9:00 a.m. - The pig is in the rig!

Got 4 hours worth of pecan driving the neighbors nuts. Filled the water dish with apple juice as per instructions. Box temp around 210 right now. Shooting for an internal of 145(currently@93)

Now comes the fun part. We have a gorgeous day shaping up here in Toronto (which some of us call "the big smoke!") Wifey is taking care of the sides and the plum sauce. I'm out to get a box 'o beer. Ah, Canada Day, eh?

Enjoy gang. I'll post more later.

11:00 a.m. - WTF? Already at 131. Unless she does the "pork butt stall" it will be done soon.
I had counted on 4-5 hours of cooking time. (timer shows 3.45 hours to go)
Guess I'll have to FTC longer and eat earlier, not that either is a bad thing...

1:00 p.m. - Last of the pucks are done. Loin is coming off now. Went a bit beyond 140 (147) as I just couldn't accept that this huge hunk of meat could be done after only 2.5 hours @210.Felt kinda soft and rubbery too, which I interpret as a sign of "rawness". FTC now until around 6 bells. Wife whipped up some kinda raw veggie slaw and brought home some corn on the cob. Looks like we're all set.
(we may or may not be in possession of one of those disgusting but delicious red and white Canada Day cakes, I ain't telling....)

6:45 p.m. - Well, that turned out pretty fine. I wasn't able to do the plum sauce as we got into that case of beer a it early....Ende up going with a Vaunted Vinegar sauce jacked up with some Habanero/Tequilla BBQ sauce. Not bad. I thik next time I would take her up to 160. 145 was a bit pinkish for my liking.

Only problem is, I ate so damn much I can barely choke down dessert. Gotta find me a rock to crawl under for a few days....

Great start to the long week-end. I see plenty of samich left-overs.

Gizmo

The vaunted jacked up with Habanero and Tequilla sounds tasty.  Was it in a BBQ sauce already or you just added the 2 to the vaunted vinegar?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

GB:  I've found that when the long probe is not fully inserted in the meat (like when working with chicken or ribs) that the exposed metal can artificially raise the temp reading.   If I doubt the finished reading, I'll pull the probe and insert it diagonally so that the probe end is just about dead center of the meat (with the rest of the metal imbedded too).  If that reading is at or above target temp, time to foil, towel and cooler. 

Or, in the case of something like this cut of meat, loose foil tent and taste samples while the guests aren't looking. ;)
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

goalieboy29

Quote from: Gizmo on July 04, 2007, 09:51:53 PM
The vaunted jacked up with Habanero and Tequilla sounds tasty.  Was it in a BBQ sauce already or you just added the 2 to the vaunted vinegar?

Yup,  I addded a prepared sauce to the Vaunted vinegar for a bit of a Franken-sauce. Turned out a bit more clingy than the Vaunted alone plus a bit more heat, which never hurts. "She who brings home meat" prefers her sauce on the vinegary/spicey side, thus the idea....

Quote from: Consiglieri on July 04, 2007, 11:20:18 PM
GB:  I've found that when the long probe is not fully inserted in the meat (like when working with chicken or ribs) that the exposed metal can artificially raise the temp reading.   If I doubt the finished reading, I'll pull the probe and insert it diagonally so that the probe end is just about dead center of the meat (with the rest of the metal imbedded too).  If that reading is at or above target temp, time to foil, towel and cooler. 

Or, in the case of something like this cut of meat, loose foil tent and taste samples while the guests aren't looking. ;)

Yeah, I think you nailed it. I probed the roast in a variety of spots and just couldn't get a good read.
I even re-calibrated in boiling water (was bang on at 212) to make sure it wasn't my probe.

Next time, I'll go to 160 just to avoid the "false high".

Now as far as pre-guest snacking goes, I can neither confirm nor deny your report...!

Thanks for the follow-up guys.