Smoked Ice Cream?!?

Started by Scotty-G, October 26, 2007, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Has any ever tried to make a smoked ice cream?

I've thought about maybe a Butter Smoked Pecan.

Came across a jerky ice cream recipe once . . .  ::)

Wildcat

New one to me.  I vote that you volunteer to give this a try.  Take pictures cause I gotta see this.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I'm with Wildcat on this one Scotty!! If you can smoke ice cream...we'll all be expecting you to give us the winning lottery numbers for next week's drawing!!! :) Good luck with it!!!

Ontrack

I have the winning numbers right here! Just send a check or money order for $1000.00 and I'll get them right to ya!

Duster

ya Know Scotty, I can't believe I'm even giving this some thought, but if ya smoke some almonds or some other kind of nut and add it to some home made ice cream then well maybe ???. Also if I understand correctly, smoke will flavor any protein. so yogurt is a protein. However yogurt cant take heat without curdling but if you strain the weigh out of plain yogurt you then have a basic yogurt cheese witch can take some heat :o. Ya I know it's a soft cheese so ya might have to keep it in the cheese cloth you strained it with to cold smoke it. Them maybe just maybe you will be able to incorporate the weigh slowly and gently back into the smoked yogurt cheese. So now if that all works then you will have smoked yogurt! Now all you have to do is add some sugar and place it into your ice cream maker let it start to firm and then into the freezer to set. Now, in theory, you would have smoked frozen yogurt witch is just as good as ice cream and better for you. 8)
Scary ain't it

my wife already thinks I've lost my mind on what i am willing to make in my OBS so this one is gonna have to be up to you let me know how it turns out.

Ontrack

Hey Duster-I rarely agree with anything my wife says either, but...I may have to agree with your wife on this one...but if you can pull it off, brother, I'll be the first to congratulate you!

La Quinta

Duster...you have lost your mind...smoked yogurt cheese...uh...ok??? From one wife to another...tell your wife she's smart!!!!")

Duster

come on, Wheres your sense of adventure, where there's a will there's a way right. I think scotty and I are gonna have to get together and try to prove or disprove my theory that you can make smoked frozen yogurt! However I think I think the taste testers are gonna have to be those black bears that nepa and mws were talking about. I don't think I could use my dogies for this one, sorry scotty.

car54

Here is my version of a smoked slushy.

Ontrack

car54-Is that snow from this year?

Scotty-G

Was intreeged with Duster's idea but my taste testers here are not willing so
I have to agree with the wives about the smoked yogurt, unless...

I'm leaning more towards home smoked & roasted pecans mixed into a rich french vanilla ice cream mixed with a little maple syrup.  Could try to cold smoke the syrup - put into a large flat shallow bowl on the top shelf and cold smoke for an hour or 2 - maybe.

As for smoking the Pecans - choice of wood is _______.

is pecan pucks the obvious choice??? or how about Maple??? or even Cherry :-\

La Quinta

NOW THAT.... I WOULD DO!!! Well thought out!!! That sounds awesome...I'd use pecan or apple...(but I don't really know that much)!!! Hell...I may try that tomorrow!!! We have vanilla ice cream and pecans and maple syrup!!! I think I would just smoke the pecans...too much smoke might be a little bitter. The maple syrup.... IMHO.... needs to stand on it's own.

Scotty-G

Don't forget to add salt to the pecans.
IMHO I'd toss the pecans in a little EVOO and then a little kosher salt before smoking.
Salt won't necessary enhance the smoke flavor but will add to the ice cream textre and flavor.

Quote from: La Quinta on October 27, 2007, 11:00:13 AM
we'll all be expecting you to give us the winning lottery numbers ...

Winning Numbers =  14, 17, 26, 28, 32, 33
I'm just not saying for what week  ;D ;)

La Quinta

I'm gonna play those numbers...if I win...I'll split it with you!!! :)