Carnitas, Bradley style

Started by Consiglieri, June 29, 2007, 08:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Pulled some of the vacuum packed carnitas out of the freezer yesterday.  The product held up well  and still tasted good. I'll be having some more in about 15 minutes. :P

Consiglieri

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Consiglieri on August 22, 2007, 11:33:18 AM
Pulled some of the vacuum packed carnitas out of the freezer yesterday.  The product held up well  and still tasted good. I'll be having some more in about 15 minutes. :P

Try this one

Pork Burritos (Burritos de Carnitas)

Ingredients :

2 cups refried beans
1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless fresh pork butt roast
1 cup chopped white onion
1 carrot, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried epazote
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed
Water
Fresh tomato salsa
12 (8-inch) flour tortillas
2 medium firm, ripe avocados, pared, pitted and diced
Scallions

Directions :

Place pork, onion, sliced carrot, garlic, salt, epazote, cumin and coriander seeds in large Dutch oven. Add just enough water to cover pork. Heat over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until pork is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove pork from cooking liquid; strain and reserve 2 cup of the liquid. Place pork on rack in roasting pan. Roast, turning once, until well-browned, 40 to 45 minutes. Trim and discard outer fat from pork. Using 2 forks, pull pork into coarse shreds. Combine pork and reserved cooking liquid in medium skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until pork is evenly moistened and hot, 3 to 5 minutes.

If not freshly made, soften and warm tortillas. Reheat beans, if necessary. For each burrito, place 1/12 of the beans crosswise in a row on lower half of 1 tortilla; spread out slightly. Top with 1/12 each pork, tomato salsa, avocado and cheese, in that order. Fold right edge of tortilla over filling; fold bottom edge over filling and loosely roll up, leaving left end of burrito open. Place 2 burritos on each serving plate. Garnish with carrot sticks and scallions; serve and enjoy  ;D

You can smoke the pork also. The epazote is opt but makes the carnitas taste much better.

nepas

Consiglieri

Neps: recipe looks great and I'm looking forward to the next experiment.  After today's experience, your other posts, coupled with this recipe, really gave me some perspective (I read them after I ranted for a while).   Hope all is well on your end and looking forward to some good news.

Mike, the grump, Consiglieri. 

PS: that's one big mother of a burrito!

Consiglieri

HCT

As always Nepas, another great recipe. Thanks :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

I'll see what my sister has in the way of some mexican dishes that would be good in our BS  ;D

nepas

Thanks guys N gals.....glad you like them

Stickbowcrafter