corn beef

Started by Oldman, October 02, 2004, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Hey guys!!

First one of my gaming friends (he is 34) is going to look into the Bradley... Another one of my gaming friends who is in Iraq when he get back is going to get one also. Of course if they do get one Chez ole boy will get the order.  :)

Now my wife has purchased the biggest corn beef I've ever seen in a store bought.  I'm going to smoke 1/2 of it in the morning. Thought about doing just the T-Shirt Smoken'. However, if someone here has an idea I'm all ears.  My wife is going to cook the other half as a back up LOL!!!!

I know this is short notice, but it took me quite some time to get her to give up half.... ya she is a tough school teacher....

BTW thanks all for the kind words during all of our hurricanes this year. ~~REALLY~~
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Sorry Olds I'm lost on this corn beef thing.  But it is very interesting that your wife thinks she needs a back up.  I really can't beleive she would think anything like that at all.[:D]  Please tell us how it comes out.  The only thing I would add is use a mild wood.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

Olds,

I've done a couple before & just treated them the same as a brisket because, well, they were. If your's still has the fat cap, you should be in good shape. If not, you may want to do the bacon thing.

I've found the combination of pickling & smoke to be a wonderful taste sensation. But then again, I like sauerkraut, sushi & cheap ballpark hotdogs![:D]

Actually, there is nearly nothing I object to besides olives & desserts.

Is your Iraq friend there on the 100G program or is he a serviceman?

If he's GI & wants a smoker....$50 bucks off, just because.[:)] If we had a saluting smiley thing, I'd use it.

I disagree with the DuckHarmer on the wood though. I think the pickling is such a dominant flavor that you need strong smoke to influenece it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Ah, corned beef.....one of my favorites, and frankly, as much as I like my Bradley, I do love the meat boiled with the pickling spice.  A good long cook, then in go the cut-up tatties for a bit, then some nice big hunks of cabbage.  When it is cut, and served with a wee bit of wine vinegar, there are fewer things that taste better... Note the Irish brogue creeping in as I type.  Never thought about smoking one before....hard to improve on perfection! My grandmother was Irish and grandfather Scottish and my wife, dispite being a Chickasaw Indian, is made honorary Scotch Irish when she prepares Corned Beef.  In this area, hard to break away from tradition!

Bill Muirhead
From the Scottish Clan of Muirhead
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

Here ya go Kirk!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is your Iraq friend there on the 100G program or is he a serviceman?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

He is GI. It will be a good year or better before he gets back. I will tell him of your offer.  Thanks!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Opps, I just got an E-mail from someone here. I thought it was a link reply and I deleted it.  It was not.

The question asked was what was I talking about when I said T-Shirt Smoken'.  To the member who asked I'm sorry I did not realise your E-mail was a direct one. The answer to your question can be found here in this posting.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=218

Olds

Oldman

Heh he he ... 3 back to back postings~~! So I guess that makes this posting or is it ? I never can remember which one is which.

FYI I've seen many a resturant cook corn beef inside the plastic bag it came in. They just drop the whole deal into boiling water. Sometimes the bag breaks; sometimes it does not. When the beef is done they then remove it from the bag and slap it under a broiler for coloring.

Olds

Bad Flynch

My experience indicates that smoke-cooking is better for corned beef. Having written that, I am reminded that either method, cold or hot, produces a fine product. If you use smoke-cooking, you do not need to add pickling spice when you cook it if you cured your corned beef at home with the pickling spice in the cure.

B.F.
B.F.

whitetailfan

Hey guys, I'm confused[?][:I][?]
Are you talking about cooking in the smoker, for a meal, a corned beef product (I assume a brisket)  That is, purchasing the finished product and then heating it up and adding some extra smoke flavour?

Corned beef is something that I thought maybe we could build in our smokers.  Anyone try that?  I'd like to try making the beef for reuben (??spell) sandwiches.  Corned beef or Montreal smoked beef.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

See, I told you I was lost.[?]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bad Flynch

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />Hey guys, I'm confused[?][:I][?]
Are you talking about cooking in the smoker, for a meal, a corned beef product (I assume a brisket)  That is, purchasing the finished product and then heating it up and adding some extra smoke flavour?

Corned beef is something that I thought maybe we could build in our smokers.  Anyone try that?  I'd like to try making the beef for reuben (??spell) sandwiches.  Corned beef or Montreal smoked beef.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

Corned beef must be corned/cured outside of the smoker or cooker while it is raw. You can buy spicy "Kosher Corned Beef" or you can buy plain and add spice when you cook it: pickling spice and garlic work quite well, any day of the week. The problems start when you want to smoke it, I guess. Do you want to cook it with spice and then cold smoke it, or do you want to cold smoke it and then cook it with spice? Either way will get you a fine product.

For years, I have cured my own corned beef. I just rub on Morton's TenderQuick, put it in a vacuum bag with garlic powder and pickling spice and seal it. It will cure adequately in a normal refrigerator in a few days to a week or so, depending on the thickness of the meat. Once this is accomplished, I cook it on a smoke-cooker--a rig that smokes at cooking temperature (say, 225F). If I used too much curing salt (Morton's directions are heavy on the TenderQuick), I simply soak some of the salt out before I smoke-cook.

When you corn your own beef, you can pick the cut of meat. You can even select the cut of meat for how much included fat you want in the final product. Round is great, especially if it is a little fatty. Brisket is great and has enough fat for good flavor. Purely lean meat does not taste right. Most of the store-bought corned beef products these days are not as good as they were formerly. Too much red color (Sodium Erythorbate) and not enough real cure to taste good.

You have me at a disadvantage because I do not recognize the term "Montreal smoked beef." Smoked corned beef is great any way you care to eat it, particularly cold and Reubens made with it are fantastic. Pastrami is a variation on this theme and simply changing the spice mixture is about all that is needed. Home made pastrami is insanely good.

B.F.
B.F.

Oldman

Ok all this meat talk has me to thinking about pepper beef.  I had some years back that was the cat's meow.  

Anyone here know how to make pepper beef?

Olds

Bad Flynch

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />Ok all this meat talk has me to thinking about pepper beef.  I had some years back that was the cat's meow.  

Anyone here know how to make pepper beef?

Olds

I don't have a recipe, but it may be as simple as a simple salt/sugar/nitrate/nitrite cure plus rubbing coarsely ground black pepper into the surface. Try it if you don't get a recipe, it won't be too far off and will still be good.

B.F.
B.F.