Home packaging sliced bacon or pastrami.

Started by Habanero Smoker, July 01, 2007, 07:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I didn't know quite how to categorize this topic, so I placed it here.

I was thinking of a way to package my bacon, after it had been smoked. Since most of it had been promised to family members, I wanted to package it sliced. I could not justify purchasing a quantity of Traycompacts for the amount of bacon and pastrami that I would make in any given year.

While shopping at Wal-Mart I happen to see these flexible cutting mats for sale. The mats were 12" x 15", and 3 came in a package for $2.95. I purchased one package to see if it would be practical to use them as inserts. Fortunately, they worked out fine. Plus I found if I place one of these mats under my stand mixer, it makes it easier to slide back and forth under the cabinets. By the way, these mats are also great for the purpose they were intended for.

These mates are thin and flexible, and easy to cut. I found that one sheet is long enough for approximately 1.5 pounds of bacon. The best part is that they are reusable.

(Excuse the yellow greenish tint.  The camera could not adjust properly to the combination of fluorescent lights and sunlight coming over my shoulder). These are thumbnail pictures. Click on them to enlarge.

Semi-freeze the bacon for 20-30 minutes, and slice to the desired thickness. Arrange slices on one of the flexible cutting mats. The mat is a translucent blue, so it is difficult to see against the green counter top.

Using kitchen shears, cut mat to size.

Slide bacon into a sealable bag. If the bacon on the mat is too flexible to pick up and slide into the bag, cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm it up. Here I'm packaging one pound of bacon, 1/2 pound of maple cured (top), and 1/2 pound of honey cured (lower); separated by a piece of waxed paper. I'm placing it in an 11" Foodsaver bag, using a 3/4 of the flexible cutting mat. A one gallon Ziploc freezer bag works great if you are going to store the bacon in the refrigerator for daily use.

Vacuum sealed and ready for storage, or if using a Ziploc bag force out as much air as possible before sealing, either refrigerate or freeze. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

My wife came home with a package of a similar flexible cutting mat following a trip to her Mecca (Ikea) and I immediately launched into my patented "what kind of junk it that" routine, followed by 'where are we going to keep those', and finishing off with 'whats wrong with the cutting boards I made' speech.

Lesson learned, don't speak words you don't want to eat.  Handiest darned things under the sun.  Transfer cut/chopped/sliced into any shape container by bending, twisting, deforming.  Chuck em into the dishwasher, and when raggedy, pitch up without guilt.  Sanitary, safe, convenient.

Cost me a dinner on the town at her location of choice eating those words.  Beats wagering who does the laundry.

;D

mld

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

I used one to cover my LNB on the satellite dish to keep the snow off. ;D :D No really I did. They are real handy around the house. Sides that when Ann wants to beat me over the head with a cutting board I quickly hand her one of those. :o :D
Makes a great funnel for stuffing game hens into zip net to hang for smoking too.
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 01, 2007, 01:47:14 PM
Yes! They do have a million uses.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on July 02, 2007, 03:36:35 PM

I used one to cover my LNB on the satellite dish to keep the snow off. ;D :D No really I did. They are real handy around the house. Sides that when Ann wants to beat me over the head with a cutting board I quickly hand her one of those. :o :D
Makes a great funnel for stuffing game hens into zip net to hang for smoking too.

Both are great ideas. The flexible cutting mats may be one of those products that may become renown for it versatility. It may soon join WD-40 and duct tape in resourcefulness ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

(makes note to make a trip to walmart)
Thanks for the tip
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

jaeger

Good job on the bacon Hab!!!
Looks like you got a hold of some nice bellies!!!

What time is breakfast served. I'll be there!!! ;)

Habanero Smoker

Yes. I am real fortunate to have a slaughter house located about 10 miles from me. They raise and slaughter there own animals, and all there meat is USDA approved. They generally deal with restaurants and market places, but will sell to the general public, as long as you purchase certain quantities. For bellies you have to purchase a full slab. The downside is that they are a small operation, so they don't always have bellies on hand. You have to place an order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jaeger

Well, it looks like they picked out some nice bellies for you Hab.
The bacon sure looks good!