How long will a pork shoulder keep in the fridge?

Started by Stickbowcrafter, July 01, 2007, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

I defrosted a shoulder in the fridge so I could grind it into some polish sausage. Well, my busy life ate a little over a week of time real quick and I have not even had a chance to peek in the fridge in the garage to investigate. How long will a shoulder keep in the fridge?

-Brian

CLAREGO

a week wow depends on  how many pounds it is. and how long it was on the shelf before you bought it. i just take a good smelling at it and  a good look at it if it looks good then cook if you see any discoloration throw it out or if it has an unusual smell throw it out!

Stickbowcrafter

I usually plan a little better, especially when setting aside half a day to grind and stuff sausage. Just one of those weeks when you feel like a chicken with its head cut off. I have some time tomorrow and plan to get it done as long as the pork is in good shape. If not, no problem, still have a few frozen pig quarters left. Hope the stuff in the fridge held though, hate to waste anything.

-Brian

Gizmo

Another factor to consider is how long it took to thaw as well.  A deep freeze and a very cold refridgerator could take a few days to actually thaw.  As clarego said, the nose knows.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

Not wanting to put a damper on proceedings but the bugs that cause tummy upsets are very often not the same ones that cause the meat to smell so going by smell, or lack of it is not the best way to go IMHO.

QuoteAnother factor to consider is how long it took to thaw as well.  A deep freeze and a very cold refridgerator could take a few days to actually thaw.

Quotea week wow depends on  how many pounds it is. and how long it was on the shelf before you bought it.

All good advice, if it remainded pretty much frozen for the first couple of days then you may well be OK but by the time you have ground and processed it will add more time and ground meat is one of the worst for harbouring bugs.

Probably not what you want to hear but in this instance I would discard it!  >:(

Manxman