Odd meat

Started by bunnydude, May 25, 2007, 06:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnydude

My brother is going cougar hunting this weekend and he has a good shot at filling his tag.
A couple of years ago I came across a recipie for a roasted leg of lion.

I know it sounds crazy but I am serious about this it was in a Field and Stream mag. 
I would like to know from you all out there do you think a guy could smoke that type of meat and if so any sugestions.

Gizmo

I suspect you can smoke just about anything and since I am sure early man and the bushman eat lion and most probably cook over a wood fire, but I would venture to say you may be on your own from an expirience with the BS. 
2 weekends ago the Bradley goes whole hog (well LilHog).
Next Bradley goes "Wild".  Patent on new video - "Bradley gone Wild"
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Different muscles from an animal requires different cooking techniques. I would start by reviewing the recipe in Field and Stream, and modifying that recipe so that you can smoke/cook it in the BS. I'm always modifying recipes so that I can apply smoke to it. The most important things to remember while modifying the recipe is to study the cooking technique used. If the recipe is using a long cooking time at low temperatures, then a technique use for brisket and butts would work. If it calls for braising, then using Old's "boat" technique will work, or you can apply the smoke and finish braising in an oven. If it uses high temperatures use the technique that is used for Top Loin, or other types of roast; which I generally will finish in a high oven. Most important pay attention to the internal meat temperature.

Good luck! Though I will probably never have the opportunity to smoke/roast a cougar, I would be interested in knowing how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

whitetailfan

Interesting project.  I once ate some cougar, but it was more than 20 years ago.  If I remember correctly, it was sort of a greasy meat (that could have been the bear though).  If it is, then a low and slow might be perfect for you.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

West Coast Kansan

Bunnydude, I hope you close the loop on this one.  Just guessing on but might be fun to know (not that a cougar roast is ever something i will get to try  ;D ).  My guess is the cougar is going to be an athlete and lean.  If so I think the smoke would happen at low temps and then you will want to finish at a high tower temp and fairly short time frame  ??? May have a wild taste so a light smoke flavor like apple could be a choice. 

I hope you get to give it a try, will be interesting  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

chuck steak

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on May 28, 2007, 01:39:07 PM
Bunnydude, I hope you close the loop on this one.  Just guessing on but might be fun to know (not that a cougar roast is ever something i will get to try  ;D ).  My guess is the cougar is going to be an athlete and lean.  If so I think the smoke would happen at low temps and then you will want to finish at a high tower temp and fairly short time frame  ??? May have a wild taste so a light smoke flavor like apple could be a choice. 

I hope you get to give it a try, will be interesting  ;)

yep,,,you may want to wrap the piece you smoke with beacon or pork belly slices to give the dry meat some help with juices and flavor-----perce meat with fork spice as you like then add pork belly slices over the meat---i had bear once..YUCK---and squeral that wasn't very good either, that may have been the cook...lol ???

Wildcat

Varmits are great if prepared right!  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

chuck steak

Quote from: Wildcat on June 09, 2007, 04:49:39 PM
Varmits are great if prepared right!  ;D
well I will pass on Possium and Coon...brother-n-law is nuts if he thinks thats good cook'n....LOL

bunnydude

I have a guy at work that may give me a bear roast or two and I plan on curing and  smoking those.

I will do a strong herb type cure/rub and smoke with alder/oak and I will let you all know how it goes

chuck steak

I look foward to reading it.

Smudge

I have a personal code for what goes in my smoker or on my table. I don't eat critters that eat other critters.

It's only my standard and I fully respect everyone else's. Of course, once you set the rules, you begin to look for exceptions to the rules. In my case, I make exceptions for fish and other crustaceans. They just taste too good to ban.

Stickbowcrafter

I've never had it or cooked it but I understand it is quite tasty when done right. Good luck!

-Brian

Gizmo

Smudge,
I won't mention all the good tasting critters that eat their young for various reasons that would other wise be eating more vegtable type products.   :D

I respect your personal code as well.  Just thought I'd throw out a little irony.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

coyote

Good thinkin' Gizmo..............My daughter sometimes claims to be a vegetarian.............but admits to
dabble in burgers , hotdogs , bacon , chicken...............

Coyote