water smoker

Started by bob k, October 04, 2004, 09:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob k

I am new to the smoking world, can anyone explain to me how a water smoker works, and what is its purpose?
thanks,
bob k

Habanero Smoker

I have a water smoker, but haven't used if in a few years, though I always had fairly good luck.

In a water smoker, the fuel is located in the same area that the food you are smoking. Though you can keep a lot of the heat down by controlling the damper, it's hard to get it down low enough to slow cook, or below the temperature of 225 degrees. Therefore a water pan is added, right above the fuel source; and the added moisture helps keep the temperature down. Another added feature, is that you can add wine, marinade, herbs or what every is your choice to help inhance the flavor of what you are smoking. It takes awhile to get use to using, and you need to be careful if more water has to be added, and depending on the design, it may be difficult to add more fuel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bob k</i>
<br />what is its purpose? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
To cheaply get you interested in smoking & shortly after that, so frustrated that you feel the need to buy a real smoker like the Bradley! Night & day![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Ah water smokers... Many years back I made a smoker that atomized water into an aerosol/ fog mist. Fire box was on the side of the chamber. If I remember correctly the pump was either an 30 or 60 psi with an internal bypass valve.

Unlike the newer self-cleaning atomizers today I had to use distilled water or the atomizers clogged up. It did a pretty nice job to, or at least I think so...Like I said that was many years ago.  [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!