how long to cook a 6# brisket??

Started by Tim S, July 07, 2007, 03:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipystu

Yeah I posted a while back trying to see if anyone had tried it yet. Good memory!

I did try just putting hardwood charcoal and standard charcoal on the burner plate and nothing happened smoke ring wise. I did get a slight flavor of the charcoal. But what I am trying now is putting already hot coals into the OBS. Not sure how I am going to do it yet. I tried putting one on the burner plate and took it off soon after as it didn't look good for the burner plate.

I am thinking I might try using a small cast iron pan at the very bottom of the smoker unit. I figure I would put some insulators under it so as not to ruin the bottom of the smoker. I would do this for the first hour or two with and without smoke at the same time.

My goal is to get a hot enough heat source in with hardwood charcoal while not A) Ruining the smoker B) Killing myself in the process C) Making it easily repeatable D) Producing something resembling a smoke ring.

For now I will use my barrel smoker on briskets till they hit 150 or so then move it to my OBS.

CLAREGO

this is just my experience with charcoal and the bs did not use hunk of charcoals but used kingsford brand. i took a coffee can and poke holes in the bottom of it.I put fluid on a couple of brisqutes and let them cook down then i put them on a rack right below my sirloins. had a good charcoal taste i smoke them for about an hour with mestique

kiviviki

I really love steaks, and this recipe is one of my favorites.

how long to grill steak
You just have to try.