Looking for brisket advice...please help

Started by pearlperson, July 08, 2007, 06:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pearlperson

Hello - Finally have my smoker, and plan to try my first brisket next Saturday.  I've read many messages and tips, but want to know what you guys think about mesquite vs other woods and how long do you smoke your brisket vs cooking only?  Also, tell me how long I should ftc(?) the brisket when it's done please.  I plan on buying a 6 lb flat, will it fit on the rack?  Any other tips you can add will be greatly appreciated.

This is so much fun I can hardly stand it!!!!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  Smoke for 4 hours.  FTC for 3 or 4 hours.  For me apple is best on brisket.  Milder flavor.  I also like to spray apple juice every couple of hours or so.  Spray with apple juice when FTC also.  Let us know how it goes.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Pearlperson;
Welcome to the forum.

Wildcat gave you some good advice, but I want to caution you on the mesquite. If you like a very strong smoke flavor, then 4 hours of mesquite would be for you. If you don't like it that strong, or if this is your first smoke, you may want to cut down the time you apply mesquite to 3 hours, or mix the mesquite with hickory or pecan. Such as 2/3 hickory, 1/3 mesquite, or 50/50, and go for the full four hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pearlperson

Thank you both so much - now, another question.  When I spritz during the ftc, do you mean that I unwrap, untowel, and then cover back up all while the brisket is in the cooler?  Sorry to sound (and be) so dumb, but I'm determined to learn.

Gizmo

Just before wraping is all I do.  I don't unwrap until ready to slice and serve.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Giz is right.  Never unwrap from FTC until you are ready to eat or store.  The beast is still cooking during the FTC utilizing its own internal heat.

begolf25

A 6lb flat should fit on your rack just fine. Also, I like to keep it simple when doing a brisket. Usually just some salt and pepper will do for seasoning and maybe a little garlic. You just don't want to overpower the meat flavor.

GL and let us know how it goes!

Johnny Guitar

I don't typically use a rub.  I like to marinate my brisket before. 

I have also tried injecting the marinade with mixed results.
Cheers,

brderj

I have cooked many briskets, different sizes, different results and never have I come accross the term FTC....I assume it is something to do with covering the meat, like I see people do with tin foil on the smoker (as I have done before) but from the conversation I see this is off the smoker completely.  Is this unique to the Bradley smokers?  I see this term used in everything from Brisket to butts. 

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: brderj on July 11, 2007, 03:26:50 PM
I have cooked many briskets, different sizes, different results and never have I come accross the term FTC

brderj,

First you Fill The Cup, then Follow The Chicks.......   :D

brderj

Perfect!!!  I guess Bradley really takes the guess work out of bbq...if there is one thing I am good at its filling cups and stalking chicks!   ;D

SKSmoker

Foil - wrap object in tin foil when it is done
Towel - wrap in a few old towels around the object in tinfoil
Cooler - Place wrapped object in a preheated or non preheated cooler for as long as you possibly can stand it.

My butts I FTC for a min of 4 hours if possible and they are still 190F when I pull them!!
Lead by example

smokin stu

Wildcat, you say smoke for 4 hours.....  but this is a six pound briskett.  I am confused.  I thought you smoked for four hours then kept cooking for a total of 1 1/2 a pound.  What meat temp tells you you are done?  I did one briskett so far and I need some advice as my next one will go into the BS this weekend.

Thanks,

Stu

Wildcat

Sorry for the confusion.  Smoke for 4 hours then cook without smoke until internal meat temp reaches what you want.  I shoot for 185 to 190 F.  Actual cook time will vary each time.

brderj

Ok!!  Let the confusion begin!!   ;D

Smoke for 4 hours...I got the answer to this yesterday, I get it.  Then until temp reads about 190 for a butt, thats normal for all smoking.  When does the FTC begin?  Wouldnt you pull the butt from the smoker before 190 to wrap, as the meat will still cook?