Black pudding

Started by Dalby Spook, July 08, 2007, 10:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Ok all you epicures, has anyone smoked black pudding or boudin noir?

I'm a bit wary because the skin is a bit thicker ( I think) than regular sausage and I'm doubtful the smoke would penetrate.

For info black pudding is a very thick sausage made from pigs blood, oatmeal, onion and lardons of fat.
A great regional delicacy  in the north of England. Particularly Lancashire.

cheers
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

3rensho

I too like the UK version of blood sausage.  I think is would lend itself well to some smoke.  I'd give it a shot, perhaps an extended cold smoke such as two hours a day on three successive days to give the smoke time to penetrate.  The blood sausage here is much different in that it is made with pig blood, cream and spices only.  It is quite liquid until poached and then forms a large blood clot.  It is delicious with sauerkraut and steamed potatoes.  Let us know how you make out.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

3rensho

I forgot to mention as well that sausages are very regional in this part of the world.  Just over the border in Baden-Würtemburg there are commonly two types of blood sausage, sold cooked, and sliced about 2mm thick.  One, is as you describe with lardons in it and the other has the lardons replaced with cured calf tongue.  Neither seems to be smoked.  They might be missing something.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Dalby Spook

Thanks for that Tom.

I'm going off island next week and hope get some genuine Lacashire pudding. I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully with some pics as well.

John
A. Einstien

Stickbowcrafter

Interesting. I've heard and read about blood sausage but never tried to make it or eat it.

-Brian

Dalby Spook

Have to say folks, smoked black pudding was not a culinary masterpiece. The pud has such a strong flavour that any smokiness was just about overwhelmed. Also I don't think the flavours were complimentary anyway.
you live and learn I suppose.
A. Einstien

Wildcat

I understand that smoke and liver do not go well together either.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Quote from: Wildcat on September 04, 2007, 12:49:44 PM
I understand that smoke and liver do not go well together either.  ;D
LOL cat man, me and Manx are never gonna live(r) that one down!!! That was one dish we didn't pat('e) ourselves on the back for. :D ;D ;)

Wildcat

Sorry about that Ice, but I just could not resist.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokin stu

Good on you DS for giving iy a try.  I like blood pudding and thought you were on to something.

Last time I was in Scotland I had blood pudding and chips with a deep fried Mars bar.  Knocked about ten years off my life right there.

Consiglieri

Deep fried mars bar.  Man that's decadent.

Unless you count the Heartbender: 1 part cognac, sprig of rosemary, whole clove of garlic, and 1 part bacon drippings.  Cheers.
Consiglieri