Best Way to Freeze Smoked Boston Butt - Whole or Pulled?

Started by VCUHokieFan, July 08, 2007, 02:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VCUHokieFan

I am smoking two 7.5lbs Boston Butt's tomorrow. I want to freeze them to take with us to the beach the following week and reheat on 7/18 so about 10 days from smoking, which is obivously too much just to keep in the fridge. I have read articles about freezing the butt both whole unpulled and totally pulled.

If I freeze it whole, should I FTC it or put it with ice in a cooler, cool it down, and freeze each in a food saver bag?

If I pull it, I would just FTC it and then pull it and freeze it in food saver bags. I am debating on pulled because I doubt I can resist the temptation of eating some hehe.

I tried to seach for information on here with different experiences freezing but couldn't find anything. Sorry if I'm repeating some article, but I couldn't find it hehe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Habanero Smoker

VCUHokieFan;
Welcome to the forum.

I always pull the butt prior to packaging it in vacuum sealable bags. It pulls better when it is warm, and I would believe that it warms up easier. Also, after packaging I will let it set in the refrigerator for one day to let the flavors meld a bit before I freeze it. Since you are going to vacuum seal it, you can easily reheat by dropping the bags in boiling water and letting it simmer until warmed through.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

I just reheated some pulled pork "carnitas" I vacuum sealed and froze last week.  This technique Habs describes works well. 
Consiglieri

VCUHokieFan

Cool, well that's what I'm going to do then. I just opened the smoker to spray a little apple juice on them and yum yum. It's 6:52AM and I put the two 7.5lbs butts in at 10:00PM. They are at 145 degrees right now. I figure by 3-4 this afternoon, 195 degrees is in my grasp hehe.

Thanks!

Wildcat

I do the same as Habs.  A word of advice.  Be sure to let it heat up long enough.  I have rushed it a bit and wound up with the center still being cold with the exterior hot.  Microwave fixes that problem, but results are better in the hot water.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Carter

Hi Wildcat or Habs,

Any recommendation on a home use vacuum sealer?  I've been thinking of getting one, but have no idea of what I need and what I should be paying for.

Thanks.

Carter

Wildcat

Lefty_Smoker

I ordered a new FoodSaver V2860 a couple days ago.  It is supposed to be delivered later today.  Hopefully it will do all I ask of it. 

Where is the best place to find cheap bags/rolls? 

irish_smoker

QuoteWhere is the best place to find cheap bags/rolls?

I get mine at Sam's Club and those will last me several months.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Lefty_Smoker on July 09, 2007, 11:57:37 AM
I ordered a new FoodSaver V2860 a couple days ago.  It is supposed to be delivered later today.  Hopefully it will do all I ask of it. 

Where is the best place to find cheap bags/rolls? 

I got my food saver from Sam's, and often get my bags there. They seem to have the lowest everyday price for bags, but before I purchase any bags I always go to Food Saver website to see if they are having any specials. Some times I find some great deals on bags that beat Sam's, and that is including postage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

For me WalMart is closer for me, but if I go to Sam's for other things I get mine there as well.