6 rack digital model now available in UK.

Started by manxman, July 11, 2007, 03:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

The 6 rack digital model is now available in the UK, RRP = £399+VAT. The  4 rack model has been available for some time now.

The website below gives some useful information, particularly in relation to cold smoking using the DBS and a proposed upgrade on this model in the future to simplify cold smoking.

In the meantime an optional extended 1.7M cable is available in the UK for digital DBS buyers to facilitate cold smoking.

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/products/smoker/digital.htm
Manxman

brderj

I cant believe how expensive it is, that is craziness. 

manxman

Tell me about it, despite the favourable exchange rate the prices of all BS items are very steep indeed. Most items are over double what thay are in the US.  :'( :'(
Manxman

brderj

I have noticed that a lot with products in England.  Things that are $30 US would be 30 pounds UK, double the cost.  I wonder if they do it for people who don't pay attention  ;D

Is there a way to have one ordered and shipped?  You would think even if you had to pay a lot for shipping it would still be cheaper in the end...

manxman

You are spot on about the $ to £'s comment, there is lots in the papers here about "rip off Britain" and everything from jeans to CD's to Bradley Smoker bits are hellish expensive.

A few of us looked into bulk importing say a pallet of pucks for the BS but Her Majesty's Custom and Excise put pay to that with prohibative import duty and tax on things being brought in from the US.... think that is one of the big issues as well as import companies obviously wanting to make their profit. The shipping itself was not that big an issue.

Coupled with that buying a 110 volt BS from the US may cause problems if anything went wrong with the warranty and spares, we have a 240 volt system over here.

Whenever I go to the US (3 times in the past 10 years) I have always stocked up on jeans, trainers, fishing tackle etc. Now I have a BS when next I visit I plan to bring an empty suitcase to fill with pucks!!  ;) :D

And just hope I don't get stopped in the "Nothing to Declare" channel on re-entry to the UK!!  :-[ :-[

Manxman

brderj

I know the voltage system all to well, everytime I deploy my first purchases are always gizmos to fix the voltage to my American electronic standards... ;D  Thankfully the more I do it I see how a lot of things are dual voltage.  My cell phone, iPod, and all laptops are all dual.  Makes things a lot easier...plus it charges faster.   ;D

I wish there was something to be done about that price, that is just about the dumbest thing I have ever seen.  My friends that are stationed in England always talk about the jeans, CD's, and shoes....at first glance they look like a steal. 

manxman

There are a few ways round some things such as buying or modifying DVD players to be multiregion to enable buying them in from the Far East, the US or whatever but generally we get shafted good style on consumer items over here. >:(

Oh to be able to buy a 6 rack DBS for $470, an OBS for $299 or pucks at $15/48 etc.  ;)

I do notice more gizmos to enable American electical goods to be plugged into UK mains on sale over here now so I suspect quite a few people are importing from the US, I know quite a few friends that ship marine electical items such as GPS, fishfinders etc in that are all 12V.
Manxman

brderj

Maybe we will have to start a gift sending program, to ensure proper US/England ties are being met, all if good faith mind you.  I'll send you pucks but you have to send me shaving cream from Truefitt and hill, and Taylor of Old bond street.  Yeah, thats exactly what our countries need...clean shaved food smokers.   ;D 8) ::)

manxman

QuoteMaybe we will have to start a gift sending program, to ensure proper US/England ties are being met, all if good faith mind you.  I'll send you pucks but you have to send me shaving cream from Truefitt and hill, and Taylor of Old bond street.  Yeah, thats exactly what our countries need...clean shaved food smokers.

Hahaha.... now THAT sounds like an idea!!  :D

One thing I have managed to get is a limited supply of is Icemans sopn'sauce and rub, IMHO that rates as one of the US's greatest exports! In return I managed to get some Manx kippers through to him plus we have exchanged one or two other bits.

http://www.manxkippers.com/

Manxman

brderj

Anything we can do to cut down on the pain of that cost!!! 

Kippers.... ???  I have had kippers before, I'm not a fan.  Either that or they were smoked badly...

manxman

QuoteI have had kippers before, I'm not a fan. 

Tends to be one of those things people either love or hate. Plus there are some poor imitations around.  :)
Manxman

SKSmoker

Not sure if it makes a difference, but bradley's site is in both canadian and american dollars, and they ship from either Delta B.C., or down in Ontario.. y know.. being part of the commenwealth and all might help you guys out.

Lead by example

manxman

Quotebeing part of the commenwealth and all might help you guys out.

That's a good point, we ( Boybach did the hard work on this) did the calculations based on shipment from the US. Might be well worth a look at shipping from Canada instead. Shipping costs will probably be similar but import duty / tax may be different.

Thanks.  :)
Manxman

SKSmoker

Lead by example

manxman

Quoteanything for the commonwealth!!

Yep, I agree!  :D :D

I have emailed HM Customs and Revenue to get them to clarify the situation.
Manxman