Just built my PID

Started by Silverlock, July 14, 2007, 01:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverlock

and I have no idea how to use it! LOL
It's 1:10 AM and I'm doing ribs tomorrow (beef and pork). I built it exactly to the specs (including the equipment recommended in that thread) that are given on Old's site but now wtf do I do? I know I plug it in between the generator and the smoke box (I think) but then I'm lost. Does it need to get an average temp reading... how do I set it... etc, etc.
HELP!!!

God you people rock! :=)

Tiny Tim

I'm assuming you have an original BS, and you used an old computer cord to wire your PID.  If this is the case, you can plug it directly into an outlet (I'm also assuming you installed fuses in your setup).  For setting your desired temp, use the up and down arrows on the face plate of the unit.  To run autotune (make sure you have preheated and have a load in the smoker), press the bottom left button and hold until the display changes, then press and release until you get to "at" (2-3 seconds), use the down arrow to take the number from "3" to "2", and let it be until it decides it is done.

I hope this is clear enough, I'm doing it from memory, and I think that's how I got mine ready last week.

Silverlock

Thanks for the help. BTW, I have a DBS which is why I posted in here. Does that make a difference? I shouldn't think so. *shrug*

Tiny Tim

I think there's a difference because of the addional probe in the box for the Digital controller from Bradley.  Mr. Walleye, I believe...maybe West Coast Kansan...built a PID for a digital and had to do something different.

I mainly came back here to ask if you checked your thermocouple to make sure it was reading temps right.  I initially had the wires reversed on mine, and when I did a test, when I increased the heat the probe saw, the temp reading dropped.  Switched the wires around and all was good.

Mr Walleye

Silverlock

You plug the PID directly into your power supply (wall outlet). Then your other cord from the PID plugs into the back of the tower. You still plug in the smoke generator to your wall outlet as well. Now you will use the PID to control the box temp and you will use the buttoms on the left side of your smoke generator to control smoke. Your smoke generator will still show your box temp as well. Make sure you run the auto tune when you have it warmed up and with a load as Tiny indicated.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Silverlock

Ahhhh, okay... that makes sense. Thanks for the info.  :)
Now for the funny bit... I USED THE WRONG KIND OF POWER CORD! LOL!!! Meaning, I didn't look at the DBS to make sure what kind of male/female's it required and like a bozo, I bought a regular old power chord! heh heh heh  ::) ;D
Of course I'll go get the correct kind but I'm wondering if I can put it inline part way through the cook without ruining the meal. I'm doing Beef ribs (6 hrs) and pork ribs (5 1/2). I shouldn't think it would be that big a deal?  ???

Mr Walleye

You can always plug it in the stock way, do the mods to the PID, then hook it back up. Shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

Silverlock

YAY! Only needed the female end and I had a spare computer cord hanging around.
Now, a couple more questions: Do I tune it THEN set the temp or visa versa... and... I assume I just drop the thermocouple down the vent about half way into the smoker?

Oh, and no I did not install fuses (it wasn't in the plans I got from Old's site).

Silverlock

Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 14, 2007, 07:16:36 AM
I'm assuming you have an original BS, and you used an old computer cord to wire your PID.  If this is the case, you can plug it directly into an outlet (I'm also assuming you installed fuses in your setup).  For setting your desired temp, use the up and down arrows on the face plate of the unit.  To run autotune (make sure you have preheated and have a load in the smoker), press the bottom left button and hold until the display changes, then press and release until you get to "at" (2-3 seconds), use the down arrow to take the number from "3" to "2", and let it be until it decides it is done.

I hope this is clear enough, I'm doing it from memory, and I think that's how I got mine ready last week.

*FYI, I'm using the Auber PID as per the plans*

Okay, well it's plugged in. I set the temp (I think) to 220 then I think I did the auto-tune. I pressed and held the left button until the display changed on the bottom read-out (green). Then I pressed it until "AT" came up and used the arrows to move it to "2". It did it's thing and now the display is flashing "AT 220". Is that what I'm supposed to be seeing? The top read-out (red) shows (I assume) the box temp. I have my Maverick digital thermometer in there and it disagrees with the PID by anywhere from 5 - 7 degrees. Perhaps it's too soon to judge, I just connected it 10 minutes or so ago. OH! I have the oven side of the generator turned on but obviously that's moot. Do you leave it off?

Silverlock

Aaaaand another update. The PID stayed at 215 for quite a while and now is moving between 217 & 218, even though I set it (I think) for 220. Also, the temp differential was up to 10 degrees between the PID and my digital thermometer. The digital therm. is correct because I checked it with boiling water. Now the difference is around 5 degrees. I've got the digital therm. hooked into the bottom rack but the PID's thermocouple is hanging just above the top rack. Hmmm... much to learn.

West Coast Kansan

Give it time.  The temps do not move quicky. The bottom will be hotter than the middle or top when the heater element is cycled on.  Observation is the best action just now collecting time / temp info from all the sources.  You may be tracking along just fine but for comparisons keep your digital temp probe and temp probe close to each other to help wring out some of the other varibles  ;)

Nothing bad is happening  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Silverlock

QuoteOh, and no I did not install fuses (it wasn't in the plans I got from Old's site).

The original design that is on Olds sight was designed for a OBS and it was pluged between the the generator and the tower, because of this it didn't require a fuse because the fuse in the generator would protect it. There is actually 2 fuses. Here is a link where there was a discussion on it.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4639.0

QuoteOkay, well it's plugged in. I set the temp (I think) to 220 then I think I did the auto-tune. I pressed and held the left button until the display changed on the bottom read-out (green). Then I pressed it until "AT" came up and used the arrows to move it to "2". It did it's thing and now the display is flashing "AT 220". Is that what I'm supposed to be seeing?
The PID is doing it's thing as long as the display is flashing. This can sometimes take between 20 and 40 minutes.

QuoteAaaaand another update. The PID stayed at 215 for quite a while and now is moving between 217 & 218, even though I set it (I think) for 220. Also, the temp differential was up to 10 degrees between the PID and my digital thermometer. The digital therm. is correct because I checked it with boiling water. Now the difference is around 5 degrees. I've got the digital therm. hooked into the bottom rack but the PID's thermocouple is hanging just above the top rack. Hmmm... much to learn.
I would think some of the temp differences would be the fact the thermocuplers are not in the same location in the box. There usually is a few degrees temp difference from the top of the box to the bottom. Here is another link with a discussion on tuning the PID.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4813.0

Mike

Silverlock

Well the food turned out great and I love how the PID holds the temp constant. Next time I'll put the two sensors in the same place and compare that way. However, I still wonder why the PID never brought the box to the set temp. It always held it below the set temp by 3 - 5 degrees.
In any case, I'll continue to play with it and work it out. Thanks for the links Walleye, I'll look into adding fuses.

Cheers,
Silver

sherlock

I'll just admit it. I don't know what PID is?

I guess if I don't know what it is, I don't need it  ;D

Tiny Tim

Quote from: sherlock on July 17, 2007, 01:22:50 PM
I'll just admit it. I don't know what PID is?

I guess if I don't know what it is, I don't need it  ;D

Wrong attitude there bud...you need everything the rest of us have. ;D ;D

Some here use it as a Porter Indicating Device, Personal Inebriatory Device, or Purchased Intellectual Defense system. ;D

A PID is a fancy schmancy temp controller that uses Proportional, Integral, and Derivative figures to perform operations such as applying heat in a controlled environment.