Just built my PID

Started by Silverlock, July 14, 2007, 01:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Heck Ann asked me what I was building awhile back and I told her a PID. She just shook her head and then told me,"What the heck are you building that thing for when you already are one"!!! Oh yeah, I had to ask the question.
Had no clue I was a "Pathetic Inebriated Derelict". :D ;D

Mr Walleye

That's priceless IceMan!

:D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock

Quote From Tiny Tim

A PID is a fancy schmancy temp controller that uses Proportional, Integral, and Derivative figures to perform operations such as applying heat in a controlled environment

???
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this perhaps, an in house joke?

Tiny Tim

Sorry dude, I don't know a better way to describe it.  Maybe this will help.  I have the Bradley Original, and the means for adjusting the temp in the stock configuration is using a slide switch on a rheostat that tells the bulb how hot to burn, without any actual number to go by.  With the PID, I can set the number I want the temp to be, and just leave the slide switch in the same position, whether I want to cook at 180 or 290.

With the digital, yeah, you can set your desired temp on the unit, but I've heard that the temp sensor for that is too close to the heating element, so the temp in the upper part of the smoker isn't very close to the temp it is supposed to be.

sherlock

EUREKA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it makes sense. Sorry for being so thick headed.

Tiny Tim

That's cool.  Glad I could help.  I have that thick headedness sometimes too.

iceman

Your a good "splainer" there Tiny. Now if you could only tell me why my read out on the chat room stays in black and you see all the colors we might have something here. :D ;D ;) Opps, sorry for the highjack. Bad me. ::)
Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 18, 2007, 11:32:05 AM
That's cool.  Glad I could help.  I have that thick headedness sometimes too.

Tiny Tim

Well, I tried last night, but apparently you aren't alone with the problem.  Have you tried it on another computer?  I think I'll jump over there on this one to see if I can see colors or not...be right back.

Test completed, and the result is....I don't get color change on this computer.  I'll have to check my IE version when I get home, but on this computer it is 6.0.

Silverlock