PID question - rather controller question

Started by Macman, July 16, 2007, 07:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macman

I was looking on ebay and found this unit. It is a 1/32 DIN which will fit in the lower portion of my bradley OBS. I am just wondering if anyone is familiar with this model?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNIVERSAL-PID-TEMPERATURE-CONTROL-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ190130506048QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50926QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Macman

I am thinking that this would be the perfect device as long as I can marry an appropriate SSR to it.  It also accepts a pt100 probe which provides .x accuracy.  Price seems to be ok.  Any feedback from you folks on this one, I saw the temperature controller mounted on the bottom of the OBS elsewhere in the forum and thought that this may work as a full blown PID in that area...

Any thoughts?

A

Arcs_n_Sparks

Macman,

I think a number of members have used the Auber controller....

Arcs_n_Sparks

Tiny Tim

This one is a bit different from mine, but looking at the specs, looks like size and display are the only major differences...functionality should be the same.  Only issue I can think of would be finding room for the SSR in the area you're thinking about installing it, but only because I don't know how much room is in there.

I used a 25 Amp SSR in my setup, but since it has a 10 Amp fuse in front of it, the 10 Amp would have worked, just maybe created more heat when operating (don't know, just guessing).

Macman

Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 17, 2007, 06:52:07 AM
Only issue I can think of would be finding room for the SSR in the area you're thinking about installing it, but only because I don't know how much room is in there.

Good point because I don't think that the temp controller posted elsewhere needed an SSR which requires more space. I really liked the clean look of where the temp controller was positioned. Are there any assembly drawings of the smoker available I wonder?

I should probably check for warranty voiding as well, if I built it in a seperate box and something happened, there is no change made to the actual smoker itself.

Thanks for the reply.  I think that I may just get the regular one that everyone is using at least until my warranty is up..lol

Cheers,

Andy

Tiny Tim

I kinda wish I'd seen this one first....it's cheaper. ;D  In any case, I've got mine built, so I'm happy.

NePaSmoKer

I had a PID also but now i use  ;D  ;D  ;D

LA GURU/AVE DE RAPIÑA de barbacoa

Translated to

THE BBQ GURU/RAPTOR

nepas  :o

Artmiester

Hey there Macman, Did a little research at Auber Instruments and found the Universal 1/32 DIN PID which has model No. SYL-1512 . Most here have used the 1/16 DIN PID model No. SYL-2352. Not sure if the DIN number makes any difference but it should work. Both need an SSR to feed the heat element but if your going to mount it inside the DBS generator why not look into using the existing relay in the generator? Temperature control comes from the high limit switch (which I think explains the temperature swings) but that surely drives at least a contact relay. I understand your warranty issue but I have a buddy waiting delivery on a new generator from Bradley and I'm going to take a shot at repairing the old one. Adding an internal PID would be a big plus and eliminate the need for extra cords. Your thermocouple could also be installed through the back wall of the cabinet (slick). Tiny Tim & Arcs_n_Sparcs are way more savvy on electronics then me though. Maybe they'll chime in?
Anyway sounds like a great project, Macman! ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."