New Bradley owner...

Started by brderj, July 17, 2007, 01:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Wife says mine arrived also. Can't wait to get home. ;D ;D ;D

Tiny Tim

Make sure you at least say hi to her before you start unpacking and rubbing on the new toy...trust me on this one. ;D

hillbillysmoker

Congrats on your smokers guys.  I know you will be well pleased.  Please share your adventures, ask questions and get to know the friendly folks here.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock

Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 24, 2007, 01:26:00 PM
Make sure you at least say hi to her before you start unpacking and rubbing on the new toy...trust me on this one. ;D

Tiny Tim, I know thats right. I have been married to her a long long time and want to keep her around.  ;D

Hillbilly, I just know that I will be happy with my DBS

Tanks everybody. I think I will do a butt first.

Mr Walleye

Hey Sherlock.... You can never go wrong with a nice "Butt"

:D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock

LOL Mike.

Got home last night and was worn out. Did unpack  DBS. They sure package things well. Tonight, I will season it and get it ready. I do have a couple of questions.

1.   The manual says, "Do not use aluminum foil in the smoker oven." If, I am not mistaken, I think I saw somewhere on site that its ok to use foil. Did I, or was I dreaming? What is the reasoning behind this restriction?

2.   The manual says, under maintenance procedures, "Remove food particles and grease residue from the smoker. If the inside needs cleaning, wipe with a damp cloth. Futher on, it says, "The tower should have smoke or black residue on the inside. The more residue, the better the product will taste." Just how much cleaning should I do inside the smoker oven?

Thanks

begolf25

Sherlock,

Here is a little info on your questions but I am sure other members will have more to add...

1. Using foil can restrict the heat flow through the smoker. You could also cause drippings to run down the sides and back of the smoker causing a fire hazard if they drip on the heater element.  I, as with many others use foil all the time to boat certain items we are smoking. Just do not cover the whole rack in foil.

2. The smoker needs very little cleaning. Besides the normal clean up of all the removable parts, drip pan, v-tray, racks etc. I make sure to clean the area along the door seal. If this area is not cleaned it becomes sticky. One day you will go to open your smoker and your seal will not be attached to your door anymore but stuck to the smoker. I also clean the area around the vent. This helps the vent from sticking to the smoker. Other then that I would just keep an eye out for any heavy build up on the wall or near the element. If this happens just scrape it off or wipe them down.

Hope this helps.  GL with your first smoke!

Bryan

NePaSmoKer

Hi sherlock and welcome to the forum.

Dont really have to say much being its been said. Have fun with your dbs and enjoy the recipes here. If you can post pics of your finished smokes.

nepas  ;D

sherlock

Having problems. I guess I should have posted on this link but I didn't so I am going to post it here also.

After patiently waiting for delivery of my new DBS, I set it up and proceeded to begin seasoning it. Got out a heavy duty extension cord and plugged it in. The digital readout came to life and about three seconds later it went blank.

I unplugged the unit from the extension cord and re-connected it and again the readout came to life and again after three seconds it again went blank.

Tried another extension cord, ditto. Tried another receptacle, ditto.

Disconnected all the unit connections and reconnected, ditto.

Customer service is only open to 4:30 AM, PST and naturally, I was calling around 8:00 PM EST. I will try earlier tonight to see if this can be resolved over the phone in case the problem is of an "Operator Error" type.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Wish me luck...................

Mr. Walleye said to recheck my connections and try reversing the sensor cable. I will try that this evening.

icerat4

Did you get a error code e1.If SO THE PLUG on the back of the bradley box my have broke the lil pin.its very senitive for some reason.Hope that helps a bit if not dont worry bradleys excellent customer service will get ya going .

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Gizmo

Push either power button on the top of the smoke generator control unit face.  Left side button turns on the burner.  Right side button turns on the oven.  What you are seeing is normal for the plug in. :) :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

sherlock

Quote from: sherlock on July 26, 2007, 03:26:27 am
After patiently waiting for delivery blah, blah, blah, blah,  to see if this can be resolved over the phone in case the problem is of an "Operator Error" type.

Are you ready?

The folks at Bradley, (Jessica), helped me get going very quickly.

As y'all said, the readout does indeed light up and then go out while waiting for input. I actually did push the power on/off button to no avail.

Here is the kicker. I am a very large person with thick fingers. My ring size is a 22. This can be a good thing sometimes and a bad thing at others.

I was reaching out and pressing the power button with the flat of my thumb and nada, zip, nothing would happen. I pushed softly and I pushed hard, nothing.

Jessica says the center of the button the actual switch part of the button. Try pushing the center of the button hard with the very tip of my finger instead of the flat part. The flat part will spread out the force over the whole button and the actual switch in the center may not be getting pushed.

Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was light.

and all is well

Thanks everyone
Nathan

smokergirl

Hi there, I too am a green smoiker. Got a gift origional BS last summer- first thing I forged into was the almighty beef jerky- OMG what a black firepit tasting could have used to light the BBq mess- Getting used to the puck, vent, smoke, heat was "lotsa fun" especilly with the rookie "advice" from the hubby.  Duct taped him and my salmon was AWESOME! Got a 4 rack digital coupla days ago- Salmon is almost done and looking for great jerky recipes- Hubby is threatened with life- except for slicing the beef. Great site guys!

Smoke it if you got it
smokergirl

Gizmo

And I though I had seen a post from you months ago.  This is the second post I have read and that is all you have, so I must have been dreaming back then. 

Don't feel bashfull to try some High Mountain seasoning and cure.  Their original is one of my favorites and is a very quick and easy process especially if hubby slices the meat for ya.   ;D
Quick mix of the cure and seasoning, sprinkle on, then bag overnight in fridge.  Smoke the next day and devour. 
The original seasoning is probably not complex and that be why like it so well.  Sometimes less is best.  You can also use some cure and your own mixture or the wet brine methods.  NePaSmoker is a beef jerky maniac and has posted a few recipes himself.  One was an Amish variety with beer.  Oh yah, the beer had roots in it (root beer :D)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/