Fish and other meat

Started by mikemaupin, July 17, 2007, 04:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaupin

Hey fellows, is it better to smoke fish by itself or is it ok to mix it with other meats? Mike M

West Coast Kansan

I see no issues sliding fish in with meat other than ... The smoke flavor you want would be applied to both however so the flavor for the fish may be light on the beef.  I would not like fish with a strong smoke. I would also load the racks so any drippings miss each other.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

When hot smoking I either put fish or meat in the BS for the reasons outlined by WCK. In particular I find it difficult to position the fish / meat so the drippings miss each other and also I find the cooking fish smell in particular seems to "cling" to anything else in the BS at the time.

Cold smoking is a different issue and the same problems don't arise, no drippings and with most cold smokes I tend to use either oak or apple for everything.

Just my opinion, sure others have a different viewpoint.  ;)
Manxman

3rensho

In addition to what has been mentioned already, when hot smoking meat and fish I smoke them at very different temperatures (cooler for fish to avoid the white boogers).  For me that would preclude doing them together but to each their own.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Manxman and 3rensho. I use different smoking temperatures and techniques when smoking fish, and drippings and aroma from either meat on fish, or fish on meat does alter the flavors of both.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Quotewhen hot smoking meat and fish I smoke them at very different temperatures (cooler for fish to avoid the white boogers).  For me that would preclude doing them together but to each their own.

Another good point.  :)

Manxman

iceman

I have to agree with all about keeping fish and meat seperate. Even the smoke coming off either one will taint the others flavor and give it an odd taste. ;)