Newbie on board!

Started by pf20, July 17, 2007, 08:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pf20

So I just bought my first smoker (obs) at Outdoor World and im doing my first pork shoulder on Saturday. I had a hundred questions until i logged on to this forum. What an incredible amount of information! I'm slowly figuring out all of the acronyms but there's one thats got me stumped. What the heck is FTC all about? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,   Ken

Gizmo

Probably the most asked and answered question.
Welcome.
FTC is the use of foil, a towel and a pre-warmed cooler to carry over the cooking process after you have reached the final internal temperature of the meat.

Wrap your meat in foil.  Then wrap with a towel then place into the cooler.  Your meat will stay hot then warm for several hours.  The FTC process will help with the meat tenderizing process and moisture retention.  It also acts as a time buffer so you can finish ahead of time and then prepare the rest of the meal instead of gussing when the meat will be done.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Welcome pf20  :) Check the link below for some common terms.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4476.0

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

LilSmoker

Apart from poultry, FTC is common practice for me, especially with pulled pork etc, i FTC for a minimum of 2 hours, and usually go to 4-5 hours, really makes all the difference  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

HCT

Welcome to the forum pf20, enjoy.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

pf20

Thaks for all the info guys ! One more question if you don't mind, how do you prewarm a cooler? :-\

begolf25

Welcome Ken.  To warm my cooler I usually fill it about a 1/3 of the way up with hot water and close the lid for about a 1/2 hour. Then just dump it out and wipe it down a little before putting everything in.

Remember, no matter how much you want to, resist the temptation to keep opening the door and check on your food while its cooking. Every time you open the door you loose heat and add cooking time.

GL,

Bryan

Consiglieri

As long as we're sharing tips, I thought I'd jump in.  First, welcome.

There are a number of tips all over this site if you go browsing.  One of the tips I picked up was to place a clean brick in the bottom pan next to the water bowl.  The brick will retain heat and help the box to recover temp following bastings or "meat inspections" or any other time the door must be opened.
Consiglieri

hillbillysmoker

Welcome...nice to have you on the forum.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Another way to heat the cooler up is to wait until the ole lady starts blowing off steam at you and just open the cooler and tell her to "SPEAK TO THE COOLER". :D Then after you get out of the hospital, continue on with the smoking. ;D :D
Oh BTW welcome to the forum pf20. Just funning around you know. Have fun no matter what and enjoy the great food your about to prepare. ;)
Quote from: begolf25 on July 18, 2007, 05:21:45 AM
Welcome Ken.  To warm my cooler I usually fill it about a 1/3 of the way up with hot water and close the lid for about a 1/2 hour. Then just dump it out and wipe it down a little before putting everything in.

Remember, no matter how much you want to, resist the temptation to keep opening the door and check on your food while its cooking. Every time you open the door you loose heat and add cooking time.

GL,

Bryan

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pf20 on July 18, 2007, 05:15:05 AM
Thaks for all the info guys ! One more question if you don't mind, how do you prewarm a cooler? :-\

I don't usually FTC, but a tip I saw on the Weber site was to use a heating pad; that is if you have one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

During the Summer months I set the empty cooler in the hot sun while smoking.  Gets pretty warm and no water to wipe out.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Wildcat, what the heck is "Hot Sun"? Never heard of that up here before. Luke warm mabe but not hot. :D ;D ;)
Hab, I like the heating pad idea. I have some battery heating blankets that would fit the coolers just right. ;)
Quote from: Wildcat on July 18, 2007, 02:38:51 PM
During the Summer months I set the empty cooler in the hot sun while smoking.  Gets pretty warm and no water to wipe out.

Wildcat

Quote from: iceman on July 18, 2007, 03:56:53 PM
Wildcat, what the heck is "Hot Sun"? Never heard of that up here before. Luke warm mabe but not hot. :D ;D ;)
Hab, I like the heating pad idea. I have some battery heating blankets that would fit the coolers just right. ;)
Quote from: Wildcat on July 18, 2007, 02:38:51 PM

;D Just the opposite in the Winter.  Gets cool here but not cold.  ;D

98 F will surely heat up the old "Ice Chest".  8)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Skipystu

Welcome!   ;D

You're supposed to pre-heat the cooler? That just sounds silly!  ::) When I put in the 6 racks of ribs and two pork butts it heats right up! Tends to stay hot thru the 3-5 hours I leave them in there!

Another trick I use, after you smoke and FTC ribs, put them in the fridge over night still wrapped in foil. When you are ready to eat, take them out 15 mins or so before hand. Slap on your fav BBQ sauce and grill them for 5-10mins or when they start to fall apart on you. DARN GOOD COOKIN!

Now I'm hungry  :-\