Newbie on board!

Started by pf20, July 17, 2007, 08:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I always have problems when I have foil stay in contact with smoked food for a length of time. I don't know if it is the acid in the smoke, or the salts in the rub, or a combination of both; but if I don't wrap it in plastic wrap first, the foil will begin to pit. Even if it is just overnight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pf20

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Bryan, thanks for the cooler info. Now that i know what you're talking about, i think setting the cooler out in the south florida sun should heat it up pretty good. I'll probably do the hot water thing for good measure anyways. Also, just picked up a Maverick ET-73 today (Thanks to the info on the forum) so hopefully i won't have to open the cabinet very much.

Love the brick info too consiglieri thanks.

Iceman, if thats the case, i can heat all the coolers i have in no time, with enough left over heat for all of yours too  ;D ! Just kidding, she's a good woman (looking over my shoulder). I'm a lucky man.

Anyways, took a break from making the rub to post. Gotta get back to those fine butts !! I'll keep you guys posted.   Ken

Gizmo

Well PF20, looks like you were able to finish the typing so you must have a good one there, no broken fingers even.   :D
Let us know how it turns/turned out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pf20

12:06 Am They're in !!!!!!! ;D The butts were out of the fridge for over two hours and they still felt kind of cool. I started them anyways thinking they'll warm quicker in the smoker than waiting for them to warm to room temp on the counter. I believe the probe read 58f when i started them. Hope i didn't screw up. Probably just added a couple hours. Anyways, i took a pic before i put them in. I'll take another when they're done and figure out how to get them on here. Until tomorrow!!   Ken

NePaSmoKer

Guess i dont need to add anything except welcome to the Bradley forum  ;D

nepas

pf20

Quick question. Too late now but is it ok to leave the smoke generator on for the duration of the cooking time even though theres no wood in it?

Tiny Tim

Some here leave it on, some turn it off.  I don't see a problem with leaving it on.

Hope your food turns out great.

pf20

Thanks for the quick reply Tim. It's 11:45am and the butt with the probe(I have two in there. The larger of the two is on the bottom and has the probe in it) is reading 192. It's going a little quicker than i expected so i lowered the temp just a bit to delay. My guests aren't arriving until after 4pm. The smell is driving my neighbor crazy !!!! :D

Tiny Tim

Bump it back up and let it FTC for an extra hour or two....2 hours is good, but I hear 4 is better (I've never made it that long).

pf20

Thanks Tim, I actually am figuring in FTC time. We probably wont be eating till 5:30 or 6. I thought it was going to take much longer for some reason and i figured in a 2hr FTC. Since it'll be done sooner I think you're right, i'll just FTC for 4 instead of 2. Thanks again. Ken

Gizmo

PF20,
Do you have a probe monitoring the cabinet temperature next to the meat?  Your actual box temperature may be higher than you are anticipating.
Also, check to see how deep the probe is in the meat.  The butt on top will be at a lower internal temperature as it will not be seeing the same temperature as the bottom butt.
If internal temperature is truely 192, it would be time by now to wrap in foil and do the FTC.  You would be pulling by 4 PM for sure. 

pf20

Thanks Gizmo,
Yeah i have the Maverick smoker thermometer which is awesome by the way. Once it reaches 195 i'll check it with a manual meat thermometer that i have just in case. If its done i'll FTC and check the upper one to see if its done too. I put the smaller one on top so hopefully it will be done shortly after. We're gonna have plenty of other food going as well so if the second one takes a little longer that might not be a bad thing for the people who show up later. Ken

Gizmo

Super.
You will find the FTC (or some version of it - I place the butts in a foil pan with Apple Juice and Jack, then into a pre-warmed 200 deg oven) your best friend and allows you to finish the meat ahead of all the other last minute preperations.  The meat will continue to tenderize and melt to the ultimate state of quality.

pf20

OH........MY.........GOD......!

Consiglieri

Quote from: pf20 on July 21, 2007, 05:35:32 PM
OH........MY.........GOD......!

Good, I take it? Reaction from the finished product, the FTC results, or a combination of both?
Consiglieri