Lost recipe... any help out here...

Started by Oldman, June 25, 2007, 01:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Susan has lost my recipe for good white bread... Grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyway, anyone here have a recipe for white bread that they are willing to share??? Will be glad to look at other type also.
Thanks!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

acords

I alway use the recipe in the Betty Crocker cook book.  If you don't have it, I'll get it for you.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Kummok

Hey Olds....I've been collecting old original "from scratch" cookbooks for years and I know that there's some great bread recipes in some of them. I'll dig through and see what I can come up with. It's gonna be a day or two though.....we're pretty much spending full time at long term care the last two weeks, seeing, praying, and singing my ol' cowboy dad into his next life.......

Habanero Smoker

I'll also take a look threw some of my cook books.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Okay Olds, found these two in 'Amish Country Cooking', by the Amish of West Kootenai, Rexford, Montana. Hope it's close to what you're looking for....if not, let me know as I have many more specialty books to look through, if need be......

White Bread
4 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. yeast
6-8 cups flour

Knead until soft and elastic. The longer you knead, the better your bread will be! Cover and let rise in a warm place. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes. Makes three loaves. Miss Laura Ann Miller

White Bread
3 Tbsp. lard
1 Tbsp. salt
2qt. water
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 heaping Tbsp yeast

Soak yeast in a quart of warm water. Mix lard, sugar, salt and 1 quart hot water all together. When lard , sugar and salt have been dissolved, add softened yeast. Add flour until stiff. Let rise. Work down three times, every 1/2 hour. Let rise 2 hours. Shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pan and let rise until double in size. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes. Yields 7-8 loaves.  Mrs. Homer Graber

Also received this recipe from a good friend....it's for honey-whole wheat bread but homemade heaven!

Honey-Whole Wheat Bread (Susan Spears)

2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (105 to 115)
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
¼ cup shortening
1-¾ cups warm water
3 cups stone-ground whole wheat or graham flour
3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
Butter or margarine, softened

Dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water in large mixing bowl.  Stir in honey, salt, shortening, 1-3/4 cups warm water and the whole wheat flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in enough of the all-purpose flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.  Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.  Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.  (Dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.)

Punch down dough; divide in half.  Flatten each half with hands or rolling pin into a rectangle, 18 X 9 inches.  Fold crosswise into thirds, overlapping the 2 sides.  Roll dough tightly toward you, beginning at one of the open ends.  Press with thumbs to seal after each turn.  Pinch edge firmly to seal.  With side of hand, press each end to seal; fold ends under.

Place loaves seam sides down in 2 greased loaf pans, 9X5X3 or 8-12/ X 4-1/2X 2-1/2 inches.  Brush lightly with butter; sprinkle with whole wheat flour or crushed rolled oats if you like.  Let rise until double, about 1 hour.

Heat oven to 375.  Place loaves on low rack so that tops of pans are in center of oven.  Bake until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped, 20 minutes.  Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.

2 loaves

La Quinta

I happen to make bread all the time and white bread recipes are fairly standard. One thing I did with the last loaf I made was facinating. I made the dough...let it rest as normal in an oiled bowl...then filled a pan with boiling water...put it on the second rack in the oven. With the oven off...put the bread in and let it sit in there (with the water below) for 10 minutes. It blows up like a balloon and the surface of the dough is coated with water (via steam). Then turn the oven on to whatever temp is required by your recipe. You get a really amazing crust and can avoid the whole spraying the oven with water (as is dictated in many recipes) to achieve a crust. I read about this technique on a website about making cuban bread. Try it! I make every kind of bread (I want a hearty crust on) this way!

Gizmo

Sounds like a technique I remember my mom doing in the cold winter time back in Iowa.  Couldn't get the bread to rise so she would use your method below or place the towel covered bowl on top of the radiant heater in the kitchen.  Those were the days.   BRRRRRRR
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I thought it was interesting as, I'm not sure, does Cuba ever get cold?! It works and hydrates the bread to allow all those lovely air bubbles to blow up inside while you get that fabulous crust on the outside!!

Habanero Smoker

I've made Cuban Bread on a few occasion, and use that technique. I love Cuban bread; with it's hard crust on the outside, and the soft texture inside.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)