Smoked Potato Skins

Started by La Quinta, July 19, 2007, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Found an amazing way to maked "smoked skins"...really easy...really tasty...bake a russet in the oven for an hour at 350F. take it out and allow it to fully cool. Cut in half and scoop out the flesh. Rub the skin with oil and season liberally with salt, pepper. I add a light dusting of chilli powder to the flesh side. Smoke with hickory for about an hour...remove the skins from the smoker, fill with your favorite kind of cheese and return the cheese filled skins to the smoker for about 10 minutes. Remove and fill with your favorite toppings. I like bacon, sour cream and scallions. Really good and really easy!

Habanero Smoker

La Quinta;

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the recipe, it looks interesting.

I just have one question. What temperature are you using for the smoker cabinet?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

this sounds like a great idea.

I missed something in your explanation though.  What do you do with the flesh once it's scooped out?

I've never made Potato skins, but after this, it goes on the ever expanding list to things to smoke.

Carter

Tiny Tim

Eat 'em. :D  I've used cooled baked taters for potato salad (eggs, mayo, taters, mustard...some people add onions, pickle relish, etc.).

Macman

or, you can take the potatoes, mash em with roasted garlic and scoop em into balls and throw them in the oven, our kids like them this way....

La Quinta

Smoke temp is right at 200F.

La Quinta

I like the roasted garlic "potato balls"! We just use the flesh for mashed potatos or potato pancakes!

Carter

Eating them!?  Hmmmm.  I never thought of that.

I'm off to see if Ichiro is worth all the money Seattle is paying him tonight.  I'll probably buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks as well (plus a couple of brews).

Let's go Blue Jays.

Carter

La Quinta

West Coast Kansan

They are great carriers for other things as well like a mixture of sausage / peppers / mushrooms / bacon etc.  When cooked the sausage can come out a bit like a miss shaped meat ball but you can stab them with a fork a few times and get it into a looser form. Sausage should not be more than an inch thick or so thick so it cooks up ok.

Used to be call a poor mans ?/? cant remember now.  Good comfort side.  Remember living on potatos with different spins for a while.  "If you have a hundred pounds of potatos in the basement you can make it through the winter" my dad would say.  ;D Smoked is a treat for us now. - News of the wierd  :D  :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)