Dakotah Water pak sausage stuffer

Started by SmokinDoc, October 08, 2004, 02:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinDoc

I'm fairly new here to the forum, but have owned my BS for six months now and just love it. I want to start making sausage and have been looking at the Dakotah Water pak stuffer. Does anyone here own one or know anything about them? It seems the stuffer would be ideal for a one person operation.

Duane

nsxbill

Saw these up for sale at Butcher-Packer website.  I was going to ask them for feedback on it, but all the emails to them bounced back.  I have been assemblying items to do sausage myself.  Have a stainless hand cranked mixer to keep the hands from getting cold, and a nice 1.5 HP grinder.  The stuffer I am looking at is this one:  http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fdichomsausf.html
It is pretty pricey, and holding off getting it.  Now if my wife were to ask what I want for Christmas.........hmmmmmm!
Hope someone has used or seen one used in making sausage.   Would worry about a water leak getting everything quite messy.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Smokin,
I have used commercial water pressured stuffers and they worked great. This one is designed quite a bit different. I think if the meat is of the right consistency it would probably work fine. If you want to season meat and let it sit in the cooler for a day or so you may have trouble with not enough pressure. The stuffer Bill refers to is probably the top of the line home use stuffer out there. You could probably find one of the same type and good quality for about the same price as the water pic. Let us know what you decide. I bought my stuffer online and was disappointed with a plastic gear, though it still works OK.[:D][:)][8D]

bologna man

Just happened on your post I don't know if you got a water stuffer yet but i have one of the Dakotah stuffers and it works great. I made a little change to mine, here is what I did, where the water would go in I screwed a quick disconnect for an air hose, I then connect a 9 volt DC air valve to this connector, to that air valve I hook a compressor with about 20 pounds of pressure the system works great and no water mess. All parts were about $20.00 less the compressor of course. One of the small tankless compressors would work fine.

Rod

SmokinDoc

Rod,

Thanks for the info on the water stuffer. being able to to use air instead of water to power the stuffer makes it even more appealing.
I hope to buy one in the next couple of months.

Duane

nsxbill

bologna man,

Ditto on the thanks.  These Dakotah stuffers are so much less than the expensive ones, and looked like they would do the job pretty well.  I am glad you posted up your experiences with it.  The air is an excellent idea.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

nsxbill

Picked up one of the clear body Dakotah stuffers on Ebay, and interested in seeing your air set-up for it.  Have you got the jerkey kit for it?  If so, how does it work?  Do a good job?

Thanks,

Bill

BigSmoker

If any one has a Kitchen-Aide mixer with the PTO type attachment on the top the grinder and stuffer work pretty good.  The stuffing is a 2 person job but hey what are wives for?  I have 6 more lbs of bologna going on the smoker tonight[:D].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

lophole

Go to:  

dakotahsausagestuffer.com
 They work great. Easy one person stuffing. Make sausage without casings and shorten smoking time.

lophole

Habanero Smoker

!!!BUMP!!!

Just wanted to bump this so that I can find it again without spending half the morning looking for it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Thanks!

I'm in the process of purchasing this stuffer, and wanted to make sure I could find it again. I will be converting it to use air. I ordered the stuffer today. Latter I dug out my old air compressor, and found out it was no longer working. So now I need to purchase one of those in the near future.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

coyote

I'm not familiar with that one, but I had great success with a Cabela model last deer season..........
and we're just days away from doing it again.
                                                        Coyote

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: coyote on October 16, 2006, 08:23:18 PM
I'm not familiar with that one, but I had great success with a Cabela model last deer season..........
and we're just days away from doing it again.
                                                        Coyote
If that stuffer is a vertical hand crank model, I've had some experience with that type, and I just could not get use to it. I would always wind up packing the sausage too tight. The Dakotah will allow me use both hands to handle the casings and guide the sausage. Plus I like the jerky attachment, which I will be ordering latter on. So I thought I would go in this direction for home use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.