Mavrick & supplies

Started by mikemaupin, July 21, 2007, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaupin

The themometer came today and works great any where in my home. I went to the store a got a few things and need a sugestion.
I got:
a boneless pork loin 6.6 lb.
a pork roast rib end with bone 3 lb.
some loin center cut chops 1/4 inch thick.
Large rack pork spare ribs
Rack of pork baby back ribs.
Johnsonville Brats (sweet italian.
Coupla lb bacon

I am leaning torward the chops with mustard sauce (Bradley Book)  and the rib end with the same sauce to start. The bonless loin is so pretty I dont want to risk it first time out, any sugestions will be appreciated. Mike M

mikemaupin

PS is it ok to sit the mavrick xmiter on top of the BS?

Gizmo

I place mine (and others) there all the time.  Never had a problem.  I do try to keep it out of the smoke trail though.

For my taste, I would do the rack of back ribs first.  Pull the membrane, rub with your favorite seasonings, let sit for a few hours or over night, then smoke at 200 for 4 hours.  Since you are only doing 1 rack of ribs, there is no rotating top to bottom as you would with multiple racks.  Just put the 1 tray in the middle of the smoker.  2 hours in, you might want to turn the rack back to front to even out the heat and while there, give it a spray of Apple Juice.  After the 4 hours of smoke, you can wrap in foil with some apple juice (and some Jack Daniels) and heat for an additional 2 hours.  You won't be disappointed.

If you like them wet, after the 6 hours, slather them with some BBQ sauce (Iceman can set you up with some of the best available) and toss them on a hot grill for a few minutes to glaze the sauce.  Good thing I just had some smoked salmon for lunch or I'd be on my way to the store for some more ribs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

There is some concern about the moisture getting to the xmitter.  I did do this for quite a while and now just stick the ET73 on the side with some velcro tapes.  The ET72 fits nice on the top of the feeder tube.

One suggestion is the pork loin can be used to replace the presliced pork chops.  

Might try half the loin as a canada bacon. There are lots of good ideas posted on this... enjoy!

Pictures welcome. ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

HCT

I usually buy the pork loin and cut it into the size chops I want.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"