What do YOU put on your pulled pork?

Started by DEMAN, October 08, 2004, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMAN

I prefer the Carolina type vinagar based sauce. Spiced up and with a touch of ketchup in it. I pour it on the pork and the cole slaw I cover it with in the bun.

<b><font color="red">DEMAN</font id="red"></b><hr noshade size="1">
~Set the tongs on the floor....and back away slowly...no one has to get hurt~

MallardWacker

D,

Oh my word not another slaw and Q person.  Where on earth did that combo come from.  Just kinding, my wife is one of them there type folks, still can't stand it though.  If Sonic didn't have slaw on there chili cheese coney's this family would be up a creek.  And it always sooo embarrassing when we go out and she says "ask them if they can put slaw on it" when I know darn well they won't.  Well anyway, I am some what of a guy that loves his butt with little or no sause, probably more sweet that vinigar or mustard.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

Deman,
Cole slaw a must for me.[:p]  I like the vinager based sauce but lately have been using Big Bob Gibson's red sauce.  If you like a not to sweet but not vinegary either sauce its hard to beat.  Its won lots of awards.  I also like to eat the pieces with bark with no sauce at all just all the rub flavor.[:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

DEMAN

Do ya ship to Canada Jeff?

DEMAN

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />D,

Oh my word not another slaw and Q person.  Where on earth did that combo come from.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ROFL
Truth is MW...I had no idea what pulled pork or brisket was until about 8 months ago when I happened to pick up a BBQ book while in Chapters. I read it cover to cover then started experimenting on my gas BBQ. Did "jerk pork" first as I had been to Jamaica and loved it there, then moved onto roasts, turkeys, ribs and finally tried butt and brisket as they were called the "holy trinity" by the author so I figured I better see what all the hullabaluu was about.

Well...I bought a $1500 gas BBQ to try to get better results then went out and spent $500 for the BS along with about a zillion dollars worth of accessories. Do the words "obsesive compulsive" come to mind??[:o)] I am now, of course completly, addicted to Q and will probably remain so for the rest of my life.

To make a long story short, the recipe in the book calls for slaw and this vinegar stuff on top. I personally thought it a little weird but trusted the author and gave it a try...Well.. now I can't eat it without it but am really interested in seeing what others use and giving it a try.

BigRed

Smokers!

In Texas they break your hands and fingers if you put anything on any smoked meat. The smoke flavor is the important issue. Myself I use Rendezvous seasoning spices out of Memphis, TN.on my butts and brisket. The slaw sits in another bowel not even on my plate and I eat it with a fork. There are smoke houses in Texas when you order smoked meat you order it by weight, it is served on butcher paper, you have to go over to the counter and get your own bread out of an open loaf and no knife or forks unless you bring your own!  No ketchup etc. If you want a drink you best have change to put in the soft drink machine. Dam good sandwich!

BigRED

Chez Bubba

I'm definately a vinegar & chile guy as opposed to ketchuppy sweet. Just enough to soak into the meat but barely flavor it. I find it best to shred the meat the night before, add the sauce & cool it in the fridge. Gently rewarm it the next day in a crockpot. There's something about the cooling that absorbs the moisture, yet doesn't overpower the taste.

Slaw is the perfect <b>accompaniment</b> to Q (creamy, not vinegar), in my opinion, but should be served on the side. Unless you're doing "Hillbilly Hot Dogs"! Mmmmmm.[:p]

I too am a dry-rub guy. You shouldn't need sauce if you season the meat properly. Best butts I've ever done were consumed within minutes of coming off the smoker. No sauce, just bark & meat, shredded fine.[:p][:p][:p]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Damn Big Red,

That sounds gross!  Don't think I would want a second bowel to eat out of.  Maybe a bowl[:o)], but I know there in Texas you do things different!

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself.  

Bill[:D][:D][:D]
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

DEMAN

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Damn Big Red,

That sounds gross!  Don't think I would want a second bowel to eat out of.  Maybe a bowl[:o)], but I know there in Texas you do things different!

ROFL   (Guess the forum needs a spell check...hmmmm?)[:D]

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Damn Big Red,

Bill,

If you don't get to these smoke houses early in the day your out of luck. People stand in line to get in. Although it may sound gross, these places are just smoke house and don't consider themselves restuarnats. They do wear rubber surgical gloves when handling the meat so it is not a health issue. You can't beleive the size of their smoking pits they have huge 20 to 30 briskets and even more slabs of ribs. I just wish I lived closer to them.

BigRED

nsxbill

Big Red,

I was just giving you a bad time.  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The slaw sits in another bowel not even on my plate and I eat it with a fork.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bowl is the correct spelling - the piece of dinnerware you put something in to eat or store it.   Bowel is where things go after eating, i.e. a bowel movement.  I was being picky and hope you don't take offense to the little ribbing.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigRed

<br />Big Red,

I was just giving you a bad time.  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The slaw sits in another bowel not even on my plate and I eat it with a fork.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bowl is the correct spelling - the piece of dinnerware you put something in to eat or store it.   Bowel is where things go after eating, i.e. a bowel movement.  I was being picky and hope you don't take offense to the little ribbing.  

Bill
Hey Bill,

There are even the old Texas Cowboys that go to these smokehouses and eat their pound of meat with their hands!(there are no rest rooms to wash them either)  Some of them don't know what a fork or a bowl is. Don 't forget us Pollocks don't get upset unless the polish sausage is burnt!!!!!!! JUST as a side note I always take my meat home from the different smokehouses and eat it there but lately the meat we have been eating comes right out of my BS and tastes just as good and cost even less. As a matter of fact, I am going to take out a butt and let it thaw. I will have some thing to add to "What are you smoking this weekend!"

BigRED

whitetailfan

What do I put on my pulled pork - only the top half of the bun[;)]
I have just started to appreciate real Q this year.  Prior to that, we called our gas grill a barbecue and put commercial sauce on steaks. No longer...

I have become a big fan and advocate of properly seasoning your meat prior to smoking and then eat what you created as it came out of the smoker.  I had friends over yesterday as a matter of fact and we warmed up some pulled pork I had frozen.  We provided them with Kraft BBQ sauce because they asked for it, but it make my skin crawl knowing the amount of attention that I put into that meat in the first place.

My 2 cents...

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />What do I put on my pulled pork - only the top half of the bun[;)]
I have just started to appreciate real Q this year.  Prior to that, we called our gas grill a barbecue and put commercial sauce on steaks. No longer...

I have become a big fan and advocate of properly seasoning your meat prior to smoking and then eat what you created as it came out of the smoker.  I had friends over yesterday as a matter of fact and we warmed up some pulled pork I had frozen.  We provided them with Kraft BBQ sauce because they asked for it, but it make my skin crawl knowing the amount of attention that I put into that meat in the first place.

My 2 cents...

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Whitetail!

A double Amen to your statement above! Only the top of the Bun! As in some of my previous post, the oldtime smokehouse in Texas selling meat and only meat. You want a sandwich go get the Wonder Bread out of the loaf, no toppings, no knives and forks and get your soft drink out of a machine. They just do plain smoked meat!

BigRED

DEMAN

My first real success with brisket yesterday...and I ate it naked..no bun even...was VERY good..but I still like just a little spicy vinegar on my pulled pork...just enough to liven the taste a bit.