When to rub

Started by mikemaupin, July 24, 2007, 07:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaupin

Fellows dose it make any difference if I apply the rub on my ribs and loin just before smoking or should I apply it tonight and let them sit till morn, Mike M

Tiny Tim

Up to you...I'd do both. ;D

mikemaupin

Thanks TT, I might wait a day or two. The sell by date is up tomorrow, I dont know how long the pork will keep after that, my fridge is pretty cold as My milk and tea gets ice xtals in it. Mike M

Gizmo

Mike, I'd say if it makes you happy, apply rub any time you feel the need.   ;D  ;D
Sorry, just had to.

There are a few things you can take into consideration to decide.  The ingredients in your rub may be taken into consideration as well as how much flavor you want to introduce.  Most recipes will have you rub and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.  Some may argue if there is a lot of salt in your rub, that a long wait will draw a lot of moisture out of the meat making it dry.  I usually do the overnighter.  Not had a problem with moisture.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Gizmo on July 24, 2007, 08:58:03 PM
Mike, I'd say if it makes you happy, apply rub any time you feel the need.   ;D  ;D
Sorry, just had to.

There are a few things you can take into consideration to decide.  The ingredients in your rub may be taken into consideration as well as how much flavor you want to introduce.  Most recipes will have you rub and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.  Some may argue if there is a lot of salt in your rub, that a long wait will draw a lot of moisture out of the meat making it dry.  I usually do the overnighter.  Not had a problem with moisture.

I'm like Giz, watch the salt as it draws the blood and moisture out. Overnite is good too. I rub mine before and vac bag my ribs then into fridge. Take out re rub em then into smoke for 2 hrs @170* then just heat @ 220* until the bone starts to show on the end about 3/4".

YO DUMM DUMM, ME WANT RIBS FOR MY TUMM TUMM  :o

nepas