Sunday Pastrami

Started by Consiglieri, July 29, 2007, 01:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

First: Thanks Habs and LilSmoker for the consults.  Decided to try the Pastrami experiment unisng Habanero Smoker's beef Pastrami recipe http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1618.0 .   But since I couldn't find Morton's Tender Quick I used curing salt, as suggested by LilSmoker.

Here's the brisket rubbed with the cure and vacuum packed:

Cured Starting 7/20; opened, rinsed and soaked last Thursday, and airdried overnight.  on 7/27 I prepared the dry rub and seasoned the meat generously, pressing the coarse rub into the surface.  Covered with celophane in a baking dish until this morning:

Started the DBS for warmup and let the meat sit at room temp for about an hour.  Popped the meat into the box at 9:20 am and have been smoking at 220F since.  Applied 4 pucks apple, 3 pecan and the meat is now holding at around 157 IT.  Starting to smell really good.  Just got back from the store with some sliced swiss, grainy brown mustard and some fresh sourdough.  Just about ready to FTC.  Will update, hopefully with a full belly, a smile and some good pictures. 
Consiglieri

Consiglieri

Anybody who has thought about doing this project should.  Flavor is dynamite.  Here's a few pictures of the finished project.  Thanks again Habs and LS.

I will be looking forward to lunch all week.   :)  If we can get enough interest in the fall get together, I'll bring the pastrami and probably some ribs too.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Consiglieri

Carter

Wow that looks good.  Congratulations on that success.

Have you ever tried Havarti Cheese?  That's my favourite cheese with smoked meat.

I can't wait to try making that.

Carter.

Consiglieri

I like havarti a lot.  But with Pastrami, for me its either swiss or more meat. ;)
Consiglieri

Gizmo

Consiglieri, If for some reason you make more than you can eat in a short period of time, you can vacuum pack the pastrami and freeze it.  I sliced off a chunk the last batch I did and just took it out of the freezer the other day.  After it thawed, I sliced it up and the sandwiches have been flying.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Giz: sounds like great advice.  This time, I think it's just going to disappear (only 5 lbs and father in law loves pastrami).

Good stuff.  Great recipe.   Looking forward to next time. ;)
Consiglieri

LilSmoker

Wow! that looks great Consiglieri! I'm drooling all over the place here, i'm really glad it all went well

I have a pastrami curing atm, won't be ready to smoke until thursday i'll just have to be patient

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Wow! That does look good. Great job!

If you think it taste that good out of the smoker; wait until you taste it a day or so later.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

:o WOW!  That looks absolutely perfect.  I have not tried that yet but will real soon.  I have never heard of Havarti cheese.  I like most cheeses.  What is it similiar to?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Consiglieri,

That looks outstanding!

3rensho

Wow, that looks fantastic Consiglieri.  I've got to make another batch real soon!!  I slap a bit of sauerkraut (home made) on the sandwich as well.  Goes down real nice with a cold lager and a dab of potato salad on the side.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Macman

all I can say is WOW.... That looks incredible...!  Is there any way to bookmark these threads in my own profile or do i just do it via the web browser.

A

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Carter

Havarti's a nice mild cheese, almost like a cream cheese, only that it's sliceable.  I got hooked eating it with Canned Corn Beef as a kid(I know it's a sin, but I still love the stuff.  The smell of the canned beef turns my wife's stomach so I only sneak it every now and again).

Havarti's good in sandwiches, on crackers like Triskets, or just on it's own (although I prefer chedder as a finger food).  You can usually find it at the Deli Counter.

I have just always found that it turns pastrami, Corned Beef, Montreal Smoked Meat, or Shaved Roast Beef sandwiches into something special.

Today my Roast Beef Sandwich has a little Monteray Jack with Jalepeno bits in it - also a winner.

Carter

Wildcat

I gotta try that cheese!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/