installing fan in smoker

Started by kiyotei, August 30, 2007, 10:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiyotei

I've been wondering for a while now if my heating element is not working as well as other peoples.  Heating up to 300 degrees is almost impossible to achieve (mainly for preheating).  With out fan, how fast does your smoker heat from say room temp to 300?  I'm still seeing temp differences of 30+ degrees between bottom shelf and top shelf (no food in it but with foil on each shelf to simulate meat blocking the flow).
Ok, I need a translation of the this..."Unfortunately, my pid pooped the sheets last weekend,  Angry.  I believe I will fire up a Love controller TS, installed in the lower panel, as stickbowcrafter did.  That was/is a very slick application."

NePaSmoKer

My temp comes up pretty fast BUT then again i use a BBQ GURU.

nepas

winemakers

"Ok, I need a translation of the this..."Unfortunately, my pid pooped the sheets last weekend,  Angry.  I believe I will fire up a Love controller TS, installed in the lower panel, as stickbowcrafter did.  That was/is a very slick application."

My home built PID temperature controller failed (pooped the bed).  I believe the second time around I will try a premade temperature controller from Love Controls.  A user named stickbowcrafter installed one in the lower panel of his OBS in one of the slickest applications I have seen on this board.  Really integral to the OBS, no extra boxes, wires cords etc. Very nice application that I plan to blatently plagerize.

I could just replace the pid, but where is the fun in doing something twice?

Mark

Habanero Smoker

I recall that sometime ago someone install one in the generator with the display just below the on/off button.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

Thanks Hab,

I recall that now as well.  Those TC really fit well into the box, and well, I believe I can live with a several degree temp swing, but if I can't, well, that dovetails well, or forces me to continue with a new variation.  Seems like man heaven.

mld

kiyotei

I have another pdate on the fan installation project.  I've run the smoker a couple of times now with meat and also completely empty.  I do not see any significant improvement in the temperature zones.  It is still much hotter near the v tray than top shelf (about 40 degree difference).  I even bought a 2.5" fan blade which has a cfm of 45 to see if that helps, nope.  I also noticed last night while preheating the unit that it again cut out while heating.  The door temp was below 250.  I'm wondering if Bradley at some point switched to some cheaper components which are causing issues on the newer units.  You guys who are able to heat your smokers up to 300+ degrees without any problems, how long have you owned your smoker?  Mine is about a year old.  I have already replaced the temp sensor twice.  I'm thinking of just bypassing it and see what happens.  I may also call Bradley and ask them for the specs on the part.  Perhaps I can order a much higher quality part on my own.  I work for a large electronics manufacturer so I have access to lots of suppliers.

Habanero Smoker

I have the parts for the fan, just haven't installed it yet. Is your fan running CW or CCW. I plan to install mine to run CW.

If you are using the temperature gauge in the door, that may not be accurate. I would place a probe near the temperature sensor and see how that reading compares to the door gauge.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kiyotei

its running in what ever direction that is the default for the motor.  I did not reverse it.  I verify my temps using my digital thermometer.  It verifies the readings on the door thermometer.  I've checked temps for all four shelves and by the temp sensor.

Habanero Smoker

If you purchased the motor that has been suggested, then it is running CW. You results are raising some concerns. I haven't installed mine, because I haven't located "L" braces that are long enough. I may have to make my own.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Habs

I did have to make my own L brackets as well. I just picked up some flat alluminum and bent them.

Mine is running CCW with the 2 inch fan. I can't say for sure with regards to temp variations because I really haven't checked that closely. What I have noticed is while doing a full load of jerky I now only have to rotate racks once. Prior to installing the fan I had to do a number of rotations. This would indicate to me the fan is helping level out the temps. I do notice it seems the back of the cabinet is warmer than the front. It hasn't effected anything so I really haven't checked exactly how much difference there is. In fact this may have always been this way (can't remember...getting old) because the heat source is in the back as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

kiyotei

Yes I bought the exact motor that was suggested.  The L brackets I got were either in the bracket section or the building section (for securing beams together) at either home depot or lowes.

Habanero Smoker

I ended up buying two 1.5" x 12" galvanized straps at Home Depot. I just need to get over to my brother's house and use his vise to bend them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 26, 2007, 07:54:01 AM
Mine is running CCW with the 2 inch fan.

Remember, if you are in the Southern hemisphere, it needs to go CW.    :D

Rod Serling