A bit worried....

Started by psdubl07, October 10, 2004, 06:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psdubl07

How are everyone's fine smoked delicacies turning out this weekend?

OK, I am a bit worried.  I got my SS BS a little over a week ago.  I have used it 3 times and the food for the most part has been fantastic.  BUT, so far I've had a cracked faceplate upon opening, (Bradley sent me a new one), the coating on the underside of the drip pan is peeling, and the puck advancer doesn't work quite perfectly.

Here's a pic of the peeling:

As far as the puck advacer, I get a puck onto the burner plate and while it does go onto the plate, it's roughly a 1/4 inch from being pushed as far as it could be.  So what happens is after about 2 hours of those 1/4 inch gaps building up, I end up with a spent puck only pushed halfway off (and not into the catch pan) and the new puck only 1/2 on.

As I said, the food has been great, but I'm a bit worried that after a year when the warranty expires (and many more uses!) the thing is gonna start really falling apart.

Has anyone had either of the problems above?  I'm especially curious about the puck advancer.  It looks good for the 1st couple pucks, then starts to get out of whack.

Thanks in advance.  I've gotten some really good info from you guys in my other posts already. [8D]

BigSmoker

I can't see the pic.  Don't know if its my browser or not.  As far as I know my drip pan or bowl didn't have a coating.  If it did I'm sure its long gone.  I usually wash the bowl on the inside but unless the pan got gunk(schmeg) on it I don't even take it out.  I would call Bradley Monday about the puck advancement and ask them about this problem.[;)]  Happy Smokin'.  I'm sure they will do whats right.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

It's actually the underside of the drip pan (Bradley's term), not the catch pan.

I'm smoking some cheese and nuts today and I have been watching carefully what is happening when the pucks advance.  I don't think what I originally said is the actual problem.

<b>Here's what is:</b>  Sometimes when the arm goes to advance a puck, the spent puck is too small and ends up not getting pushed all the way over the edge and into the drip pan.  I just timed the gap between pucks and it seems to be advancing about every 22 minutes instead of 20.  Would the extra 2 minutes be enough to make the spent puck too small to push all the way into the catch pan?
Thoughts?

Chez Bubba

The extra 2 minutes being an issue, IMO, no.

Sounds to me like the advancer isn't advancing all the way. If that is the case, it should happen as well at the beginning of your smoke.

If yours' is a new unit, I'd be on the phone to Bradley. If it's seen some pretty good use, I'd take it apart & clean alll the wood chip gunk out that is probably inhibiting the movement of the advancer.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

psdubl07

The funny thing is that sometimes the spent pucks look significantly smaller than other times and those are the ones to not get pushed all the way off.  
BTW, got my order Kirk, thanks!

Chez Bubba

Are they smaller when you load them? I've had times in the past that they seem to "shed" excessively, but that is usually due to storage in a high humidity or moist environment. A box falling from 10 feet can also produce a like effect.[:I][B)]

It's only a small amount of Jello holding the things together.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Thunder Fish

My 1st time with the Brad, was the top vent door being closed to much causing the next puck's do fall apart before advancing due to moisture ? ? ?  a just a thought [;)]

psdubl07

They're all the same size when I load them.  They're brand new and haven't been subjected to any moisture or thrown around or anything like that.
As far as the vent, I have had it about 1/4 open the few times I've used it so far.  Although the next puck in line is always partially smoldering on the edge closest to the burner plate.