Where to buy bubba pucks

Started by Fair-chase, July 29, 2007, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

Since it's my understanding Chez Bubba has gone out of buisness where can one buy Bubba pucks?

acords

QuoteWe're out of stock & they have product ready to ship. Their website isn't quite ready but I will update this info when it is.

You can buy the single most purchased Bradley accessory by contacting: [email protected].

Here is a link
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Skipystu

[email protected] is the place to go! Great prices and super quick shipping. Love this guy!

bluesin

http://www.chezbubba.com/

Definately says he's out of business...

As an aside, you can purchase some of that 1/2 inch tilebacker lightweight cemet board and just cut out your own with a jigsaw...

Works great...

Bluesin

Kummok

Quote from: bluesin on July 30, 2007, 06:55:38 AM
.......As an aside, you can purchase some of that 1/2 inch tilebacker lightweight cemet board and just cut out your own with a jigsaw.......

Hmmmmmm. ??? I like to improvise and save $$ myself, but always try to weigh out the side effects and compare to anticipated cost savings. Here's a few things I'd consider before using a porous product like cement board.

Cement board is made with Portland cement. From the MSDS for cement board.......

"Ingestion: Portland cement can cause chemical burns to the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach.  Can cause a
burning sensation in mouth and stomach. Pain and nausea can occur if a sufficient amount is ingested.  In severe cases
gastrointestinal bleeding or perforation of the esophageal or stomach lining may develop.  The effects due to ingestion
can be delayed and occur days later.
"  :o

I also like to be able to clean the Bubba Pucks by tossing them into the dishwasher........

Cement board is usually sold in 3' X 5' pieces, costing a minimum of $10 up here. That means either wasting the remainder, unless you're going to be using it for something else, or storing it to make more advancing pucks when the previous set wears out.

Considering the above, I'd rather spend the extra $20 and end up with the lifetime, safe, clean product from [email protected]  ...... ;)

LilSmoker

Have to say i totaly agree with Kummok, i have 3 Bubba Pucks kindly sent over to u.k. by Kirk when he was still running Chez Bubba, from my point of view i didn't care about cost, i was just very glad to get some.

Simple design, but very effective indeed, and i reckon they'll last a lifetime, worth every penny/cent imo

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

bluesin

LOL,

Quote"Ingestion: Portland cement can cause chemical burns to the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach.  Can cause a
burning sensation in mouth and stomach. Pain and nausea can occur if a sufficient amount is ingested.  In severe cases
gastrointestinal bleeding or perforation of the esophageal or stomach lining may develop.  The effects due to ingestion
can be delayed and occur days later." 

How would one possibly ingest portland cement that has ben turned into cured concrete? They are impervious to fire and simply will not burn or smoke at all, so I'm at a loss how one would ingest portland cement using them?

As to the cleaning, it is impervious to water and will wash in a dishwasher just fine, however, I just use two of them at the end of my stack to insure that the last puck burns, so they do not get dirty really, and I really don't see how they could possibly "wear out".

Your right about the 3x5 sheet and waste, I actually had some left over from a permanent smokehouse I built for the propane unit, so it was not a big issue, not sure how much the bubba pucks are but if they are over 10 bucks, your still coming out ahead if you throw it all away. Or you can find a house being built near you and grab some scrap, or a local tile installer will always have scrap...

Anyway, it's just an idea, I have a couple and it works great...

Skipystu

[email protected]  is the guy who made them for ChezBubba ... great guy. I emailed him and within two hours I had ordered and paid for 3 pucks and they arrived a few days later. This was all done about two or three weeks ago and no I am not getting a cut!

I would stay away from construction material! Don't want to have a heating problem or a fire that ends up killing your smoker with contamination.

The bucks are the best way to go and there are plenty of people on this forum selling them. I just happen to have used [email protected]  and it turned out great.

Wildcat

I personally prefer the Bubba Pucks.  Easy to clean (I use a Brillo/SOS pad), they are smooth and slide easy.  Cement should be no problem (health wise).  I have cooked in a fireplace many times, and my uncle in Georgia has a brick smoking pit for doing pigs, deer, etc.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Need to exercise some care regarding MSDS of raw material versus finished product.

For example, in California, sand is sold with the usual statement in the land of fruit and nuts: WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. That chemical would be silica.

Of course, no one would suggest that handling glass is a problem (at least not yet in California, but that could always change).

Arcs_n_Sparks

Fair-chase

After seeing the price I was not going to pay Big Bucks for Bubba Pucks.

I checked in my shop and found a 2 1/2 " hole saw ( same size as pucks). Then I went to my local metal dealer got a piece of 3" X 1/2" X 1' alluminum bar stock. I got a 1' piece only because I didn't want to bother him with a 6" section.

Went home put the hole saw in my drill press and in about thirty minutes had 3 pucks with enough material for 1 more. Dressed them up on  a belt sander and they look and work great!

Habanero Smoker

Just have to add; Bubba Pucks was one of my best investments. It's great if you have the means, and/or resources to make your own.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: Fair-chase on July 31, 2007, 11:52:54 AM
After seeing the price I was not going to pay Big Bucks for Bubba Pucks.

I checked in my shop and found a 2 1/2 " hole saw ( same size as pucks). Then I went to my local metal dealer got a piece of 3" X 1/2" X 1' alluminum bar stock.

Dressed them up on  a belt sander and they look and work great!

Have you really tried them in the actual smoke generator yet?!?  I think you'll find your pucks to be too large to feed properly through the bisquette feeder magazine/tube.  If you measure the I.D. of the long feeder tube, it measures LESS than 2 1/2".  So I have doubts whether your 2 1/2 O.D. pucks will work if they are sized as you described them above. 

When you get done making a new set, let us know how much $$$ you have invested in your $ saving DIY project.  ;D

btw, you might also want to double check your proposed puck thickness as well.  ;)

Tiny Tim

1/2 inch thick works fine...with the original anyway.

Fair-chase

I don't know what you consider really trying them , but I ran 1 wood puck followed by the three alum. pucks through 2 cycles and they ran fine.

A hole saw is made to saw holes. Therefor a 2 1/2 " hole saw cuts a 2 1/2 " hole; the disk that is cut out of the hole ( your puck)  is 2 1/4 " . This is exactly the same size as the wood bisquets.