Where to buy bubba pucks

Started by Fair-chase, July 29, 2007, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payson

Quote from: Lefty_Smoker on July 31, 2007, 02:18:42 PM
Quote from: Fair-chase on July 31, 2007, 11:52:54 AM
After seeing the price I was not going to pay Big Bucks for Bubba Pucks.

I checked in my shop and found a 2 1/2 " hole saw ( same size as pucks). Then I went to my local metal dealer got a piece of 3" X 1/2" X 1' alluminum bar stock.

Dressed them up on  a belt sander and they look and work great!

Have you really tried them in the actual smoke generator yet?!?  I think you'll find your pucks to be too large to feed properly through the bisquette feeder magazine/tube.  If you measure the I.D. of the long feeder tube, it measures LESS than 2 1/2".  So I have doubts whether your 2 1/2 O.D. pucks will work if they are sized as you described them above. 

When you get done making a new set, let us know how much $$$ you have invested in your $ saving DIY project.  ;D

btw, you might also want to double check your proposed puck thickness as well.  ;)

Why is everyone so dead set against anything other than Bubba Pucks? It sounds like Fair-Chase has ingeniously arrived at an affordable solution! Given the price of the two options it sounds as if he should be applauded!

LilSmoker

QuoteWhy is everyone so dead set against anything other than Bubba Pucks? It sounds like Fair-Chase has ingeniously arrived at an affordable solution! Given the price of the two options it sounds as if he should be applauded!

I don't think everybody is dead set against anything other than Bubba Pucks?

It's just that those that do own Bubba's realise what a good investment they are, just my opinion but i still say................
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Lefty_Smoker

I'm not against anybody making their own pucks, I just figured a 2 1/2" hole saw would make a 2 1/2" O.D. puck, which would be a bit too big for the feed tube.  If his pucks did indeed come out as 2 1/4", then he should have no problems with them. 

It was my mistake assuming a 2 1/2" hole saw made a 2 1/2 bisquit, which I guess it doesn't.   

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Payson on August 01, 2007, 10:23:14 AM

Why is everyone so dead set against anything other than Bubba Pucks? It sounds like Fair-Chase has ingeniously arrived at an affordable solution! Given the price of the two options it sounds as if he should be applauded!

When you say everyone, that would include me, which would make you wrong in this case. What I am stating is that I feel they are a fair price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 01, 2007, 02:08:31 PM

When you say everyone, that would include me, which would make you wrong in this case. What I am stating is that I feel they are a fair price.

Same here, plus they work well.  I say power to the modifiers and inventors.  In my opinion making your own pucks is no different than modification of the BS with a PID.  Many on here do it.  If you enjoy making your own pucks feel free to do so and post the results (preferribly with pictures).  Some of these folks even modify the Bubba Pucks.  There are a lot of tinkering folks here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Payson

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 01, 2007, 02:08:31 PM

I should have said something less inclusive!  I'm sure they are a fine investment. Thankfully I found a suitable alternative and don't need them. If I did, purchasing them might very well be an option as would trying to make something myself. Glazed and fired clay pucks come to mind.

Kummok

Believe it or not, Payson, I researched the glazed ceramic/porcelain pucks also. I rejected them because I didn't think they would last as long as I'd like, plus the fact that they are breakable. Please understand that I'm NOT saying that they won't work for someone else's needs, but all readers also need to understand that any/all of my comments on "advancing pucks" design/materials are based upon my own research/testing to launch a product to discriminating Bradley smokers waaaaaay back in 2003. I ended up with the current design for several reasons...ALL dealing with providing a solution to worldwide needs.

The individual Bradley innovator has a lot more "room" to meet their own individual needs, based upon their own materials, tools, etc......  Simply put, the Bubba Puck product was developed as a simple, long term solution to wasted pucks. So far, it has provided that solution with no returns or known complaints. I'd say that those selling Bubba Puck copycats are also proof that the original design is a success (and that innovation isn't necessarily everyone's gift! ::) ).

To the innovators of alternatives, I say, "You are the salt of the earth! Invent On and Keep On Smokin' !!"  ;) ;D

Carter

I have a nifty contraption.  They're called wooden tongs.

I open up my smoker and use them to slide the remaining two bisquettes into place.

Very crafty on my part I'd say. ;D

gDub

I like the one's I got from ultra-ind.com ($29.99) The edges are rounded and they are very well machined.
E-Shay...Better Then The Next!

Smoke_Lover

I have ordered a set of 3 Bubba Pucks this Friday.  I have been wanting to get them since I read about them here, but had to wait <yes I am poor :o :o  ;D> .  Getting the Redi Check Maverick and Icemans sauce and Pork Rub were priority.  Thanks Iceman I am sure I will be needing more.  Dam good stuff, especially the Butt Rub. :)

This forum has been a lot of help and I tend to feel that if the product has the members approval, then you can't go wrong.  I used Icemans Butt Rub on 4 racks of Baby Back ribs along with 4 hours of Maple smoke and no other sauce or seasoning was necassary.  :) :) :)
There are always other products that may work just as well and may be cheaper but there is something to be said for supporting those that support you. ;) IMHO  I try to keep the door closed as much as possible so the tong idea is not for me, but I have just been wasting wood pucks for a couple of months now, chu-ching.

Just thought I would throw in my 1 cents worth ;D
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: gDub on August 11, 2007, 10:17:02 PM
I like the one's I got from ultra-ind.com ($29.99) The edges are rounded and they are very well machined.

Any particular reason why you didn't get them from this ebayer, who sells them for about $5 less, and has a better feedback rating?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290149506139

gDub

I didnt mind paying an extra 5.00 for them having round edges and a nice finish. They are so flat, they almst stick togather from the suction (hope that doesn't cause a problem).  Plus the lady I e-mailed there, I think Tammie was here name, was very nice & very helpful.

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: gDub on August 12, 2007, 10:21:13 AM
I didnt mind paying an extra 5.00 for them having round edges and a nice finish.

FYI, they all come that way, no need to pay $5 extra for it.

gDub

A picture is worth a thousand words....& $5.00, But you know what was a waste of $20.00, was Little Bradley Recipe Book.  I got it because I wanted recipes specifially for the BS because all of my previos experience was with a offset barrel type smoker and it was before I found all of the people on this site and all their wonderful advice and recipes and info and pictures etc.  Guess It will be useful when I take my smoker camping next month. 

Fellow Lefty Smoker  ;D