Tips for smoking mullet.

Started by sherlock, July 30, 2007, 11:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Mullet si plentyful here in Florida and a lot of places sell smoked mullet.Love it and would like to try some. All recipes seem to be for salmon. Can anyone lead me thru the smoking procedure.

Thanks
Nathan

Wildcat

I have an uncle in St. Augustine that smokes them.  He told me just salt and pepper to taste and let the smoke roll.  Do not have the details from him yet on what temp.  I have tasted his and it is goooood!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I used to smoke mullet when I lived in Florida. (different kind of smoker tho) but I agree...I never put anything but salt, pepper and oil on the fish...used a lighter flavored wood like alder. I'd just leave it on for maybe an hour. Mullet are relatively small and thin fleshed so just check it and experiment! The beauty is they are inexpensive as well. I always made smoked mullet dip with them. (you can get it at almost any seafood resturaunt in Florida) terrific on crackers with a beer!! Just a basic sour cream, cream cheese, mayo, green onion, salt and pepper kind of dip. Fabulous with crabs too (if you have the constitution to pick out the crab meat!) I never did! I bought it!! BUT...just go do it!!!

Gizmo

After all that experimenting, you might want to try the salmon recipe anyway.  I think it works on any fish (at least for those I have tried so far).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

I've seen people use OldBay (crab boil) Seasoning on mullet.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

La Quinta

In my humble opinion...Old Bay is good on toast! (Not literally...but close) I love that stuff!!!

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on August 05, 2007, 03:48:00 PM
In my humble opinion...Old Bay is good on toast! (Not literally...but close) I love that stuff!!!
Dang good in crab cakes too!!! ;D ;D ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on August 17, 2007, 03:25:01 PM
Quote from: La Quinta on August 05, 2007, 03:48:00 PM
Dang good in crab cakes too!!! ;D ;D ;D
Mixed with kosher salt and poultry seasoning it makes one hell of a poultry rub.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 18, 2007, 02:50:36 AM
Mixed with kosher salt and poultry seasoning it makes one hell of a poultry rub.
Now that does sound good Hab.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on August 20, 2007, 01:40:07 PM

I got that recipe from a CIA chef. I always use it when I smoke a whole turkey. I posted it somewhere on the forum. I will re-post it, after I look it up. I want to make sure I have the amounts of each ingredient correct.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 21, 2007, 03:23:52 AM
Quote from: iceman on August 20, 2007, 01:40:07 PM

I got that recipe from a CIA chef. I always use it when I smoke a whole turkey. I posted it somewhere on the forum. I will re-post it, after I look it up. I want to make sure I have the amounts of each ingredient correct.
Thanks Hab

Habanero Smoker

Here is the recipe. It's real simple. I admit I cut down on the salt, but the chef would argue with me on this; so I will post his original recipe.

Here's a basic poultry rub you may want to try.
2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
2 Tbs. Bell's Poultry Seasoning
2 Tbs. Old Bay Seasoning

I
         don't
                   inhale.