Definitely Smoke/Frying a Turkey for T-Day

Started by BigRed, October 13, 2004, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

Fellow Smokeheads!

I am going ahead with plans to do a smoked/fried Turkey for Thanksgiving. I plan on cold smoking for at least 4 hours. I have not decided on the smoking wood of choice (open for suggestions)I then will deep fry it at 4 minutes a pound. The bird will not be more than 12-14 lbs. Here is where I need some advise. Can I cold smoke the bird the day before keep in refrig and then deep fry it on Thanksgiving? My Polish thinking says it should be OK. I also have to smoke 3 ducks for T-Day and I was going to put them on in early morning and get the smoking of the Turkey out of the way the day before. Thoughts? Thanks!

BigRED

BigSmoker

I don't see any reason you can't pre smoke the turkey.  The smoke flavor should actually be more pungent the next day.  Maybe a pecan/apple split for moderate smoke flavor.  The turkey will definitely during the cold smoke be in the "danger zone" between 40-140f.  As long as the frying the next day raises the internal temp of the turkey to 160-165f you should be safe there[:D].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Agreed.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

PAsmoker

Bradley has a recipie for fried smoked turkey in with the last apple wood I used.  I'll have to see if I saved the card.  I'll post it if I still have it.
The Original PAsmoker

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAsmoker</i>
<br />Bradley has a recipie for fried smoked turkey in with the last apple wood I used.  I'll have to see if I saved the card.  I'll post it if I still have it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

PA!

Thank YOu, I would deeply appreciate any help I can get on this cooking venture.

BigRED

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAsmoker</i>
<br />Bradley has a recipie for fried smoked turkey in with the last apple wood I used.  I'll have to see if I saved the card.  I'll post it if I still have it.

PA!

Thank YOu, I would deeply appreciate any help I can get on this cooking venture.

BigRED

MallardWacker

BigR,
I did last years tbird and it was a mess, flavor was just pain yuck.(and thats the polite way of putting it)

<b>WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T USE MESQUITE(<font color="red">THE DEVILS WOOD[}:)]</font id="red">)!  </b>That stuff was NEVER made for birds!(and I'm finding out vary little of anything else)

<font color="red"><b>ALSO:</b></font id="red">  You guys that are brining the tbird, what in tarnation are you putting it when you place it in the fridge.  If I do a bird this year <font color="blue">(I'm opting for BRISKET[:p][:p][:p])</font id="blue">, I will try and brine it, but what about the space???  Do you use a bag, bucket, trash sack[;)] or what?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />BigR,
I did last years tbird and it was a mess, flavor was just pain yuck.(and thats the polite way of putting it)

<b>WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T USE MESQUITE(<font color="red">THE DEVILS WOOD[}:)]</font id="red">)!  </b>That stuff was NEVER made for birds!(and I'm finding out vary little of anything else)

<font color="red"><b>ALSO:</b></font id="red">  You guys that are brining the tbird, what in tarnation are you putting it when you place it in the fridge.  If I do a bird this year <font color="blue">(I'm opting for BRISKET[:p][:p][:p])</font id="blue">, I will try and brine it, but what about the space???  Do you use a bag, bucket, trash sack[;)] or what?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

Mallard!

Thanks for the advise the only thing Mesquite woods is good for is a camp fire to roast dog or marshmellows. It is too strong for me. It does hide the taste of wild boar!  I was think of Pecan or apple for the Turkey and cold smoke only for 4 hours.

BigRED

Eat This

I ate my first smoked turkey last year and it was the greatest. Ive fried em the last 5 years (2 a year) with every injection known to man kind from cajun (my favorite for the bland turkey) too garlic,Creole,butter,,youname it Ive had it but I had a 100% smoked turkey from mailorder last year and it was the best I've had. Im on the lookout for smoked turkeys

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat This</i>
<br />I ate my first smoked turkey last year and it was the greatest. Ive fried em the last 5 years (2 a year) with every injection known to man kind from cajun (my favorite for the bland turkey) too garlic,Creole,butter,,youname it Ive had it but I had a 100% smoked turkey from mailorder last year and it was the best I've had. Im on the lookout for smoked turkeys
EatThis!
 For years I just smoked Turkeys for Thanksgiving then I started frying them the last 4 years. I love them both ways and yes I inject with all thinks of marinades. But my thoughts this year was to enjoy the best of both cold smoked and fried together. After I smoke it I am not sure I will inject the bird with anything. Injecting maybe too much.

Fellow Smokers - would you consider injecting the bird after smoking it? Might that be too much flavor??

BigRED

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
Fellow Smokers - would you consider injecting the bird after smoking it? Might that be too much flavor??
Maybe inject with some apple juice?  Just something to consider.[:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
Maybe inject with some apple juice?  Just something to consider.[:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Jeff,

Not a bad idea! I still don't think I want to use any heavy cajun marinade or not.

BigRED

PAsmoker

BigRed, I tried to find the Bradley recipie card, but I must have thrown it away.  Sorry.  I get so sick of getting the same cards with each pack of wood, I just toss 'em right away.  I was never to fond of their recipies anyway.  Maybe you could buy a box of apple wood and see if you get the right card (if you really need a recipie)
The Original PAsmoker

BigRed

<br />BigRed, I tried to find the Bradley recipie card, but I must have thrown it away.  Sorry.  I get so sick of getting the same cards with each pack of wood, I just toss 'em right away.  I was never to fond of their recipies anyway.  Maybe you could buy a box of apple wood and see if you get the right card (if you really need a recipie)

PA!

Thanks for looking for the recipe card. I have some apple wood bisketees coming from Chez Bubba. Maybe there will be a reipe with them.I still am going to go out and try my smoke fry thing and see what happens.

BigRED

Cutterone

Big Red, goto the main forum page and at the top is the black bar with home, products, etc. and click recipes. Near the bottom of the page is "click here to view the collector recipes". The recipe you are looking for is under the apple heading.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, emerges a great taste.